Mares Abyss 1/2" LP Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to replace the LP hose from my MR 22 to my Abyss and would like to replace it with a MIFLEX hose in the 5' range. Does anyone have a website that sell this hose in the US. I found one out of the UK but they cannot sell to US addresses.

That's not going to help him, he needs an odd-sized fitting. I think the easiest way to handle this is to buy an adapter, I guess you'd need 1/2"-3/8" plus the standard braided hose. You can get both at divegearexpress. I kind of doubt you'll be able to find a 1/2" braided hose unless Mares offers one, and very unlikely would that be available in 5ft.

The adapters work absolutely fine, no problems. Just remember to change the o-ring in it when you change your hose o-rings.

That's not going to help him, he needs an odd-sized fitting. I think the easiest way to handle this is to buy an adapter, I guess you'd need 1/2"-3/8" plus the standard braided hose. You can get both at divegearexpress. I kind of doubt you'll be able to find a 1/2" braided hose unless Mares offers one, and very unlikely would that be available in 5ft.

The adapters work absolutely fine, no problems. Just remember to change the o-ring in it when you change your hose o-rings.

Well, I'm confused, and perhaps you can set me straight on this. I don't claim to know much about regulators.

I have Miflex hoses on my Mares MR44 Abyss, no adapter fittings, and their regulator hoses come in 5 ft. length, as well as 7 ft.

Is the MR22 a different fitting size? I have 2 I think, but haven't used for about 4 years, so they're in storage.

Well, I'm confused, and perhaps you can set me straight on this. I don't claim to know much about regulators.

I have Miflex hoses on my Mares MR44 Abyss, no adapter fittings, and their regulator hoses come in 5 ft. length, as well as 7 ft.

Is the MR22 a different fitting size? I have 2 I think, but haven't used for about 4 years, so they're in storage.

Yes the MR22 uses a 1/2 inch hose and not a 3/8 inch hose that most other regulators use.

So it appears that only options that I am seeing in the US is to use the adapter to go from the 1/2"-20 to the 3/8"-24 braiding. Are there any fluid dynamics people out there that can tell me what kind of performance reductions I could expect to see by moving to this smaller hose?

So it appears that only options that I am seeing in the US is to use the adapter to go from the 1/2"-20 to the 3/8"-24 braiding. Are there any fluid dynamics people out there that can tell me what kind of performance reductions I could expect to see by moving to this smaller hose?

I've done exactly what has been mentioned in this thread (used an 1/2 --> 3/8 adapter) in order to mount a 5' Miflex hose to a Mares MR-22.

Typical questions about using an adapter, and going to a 3/8" hose:

1.) Doesn't this just add another "failure point"?

Not enough to lose any sleep over. I've had zero problems with mine.... you are just adding another static, well supported o-ring, that is no more likely to fail than any of the o-rings on the 1st stage port plugs.

2.) Won't you be losing performance going from 1/2 to 3/8" hose?

Not in the real world. Maybe on a testing machine, at a depth far below recreational depths that would require you to use Helium in the breathing gas anyway (Helium mixes are less dense). I am unable to decern any difference between 1/2 and 3/8" hoses as far as ease of breathing. There are very few regs left on the market that use 1/2 hoses.... the advantages of the larger hose are probably more theoretical than practical for the vast majority of divers.

Best wishes.

Oh yes, forgot to add that I do really like the Miflex hose.... :thumb:

You do gain some theoretical performance advantage with a long hose, because you're in essence increasing the size of the IP chamber to include the added volume of a longer hose. Thus, when you take a breath, you're drawing from a larger reservoir of IP air.

Theoretical, but don't expect to notice anything different other than how great it is to use the long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom