Mares MRS Plus Weight Pouch Dropping Root Cause

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following up on related threads (Uncontrolled ascent!! - Loss of a Weight Insert for Mares Prestige BCD pocket & Dragon MRS plus dropping pocket), I had to buy two replacement pockets: both are brand new, they even had 'Made in Bulgaria' stickers on it.

Both had only 2 out of 3 straps inserted correctly: one short strap (#1 in picture above), one long strap (#3 in picture above). Both were as easy (very easy) to pull out from the BCD as the original one I still have.

Since I was about to leave for a 3 week trip to Indonesia, I did not want to risk losing another pocket + risk an uncontrolled ascent, I looked into the tie wrap idea described by Don Quixote.

Tying strap #1 and #2 through their loops was not possible with the tie wraps I had, which were too wide to fit into the loops. I tried tying the two below the loops but that did not have enough grip to hold them together.

I ended up tying all 3 together. Getting strap #3 in was the toughest part - there was not much length to play with.

I did a dry test and this tie wrap fix solves the problem! It definitely makes it harder to pull the weight pocket out of the BCD. You have to give it a good tug, as opposed to a gentle tug for the unmodified pocket. This also limits the range the weight pockets can travel, which reduces the tugging force on the clip when weights move.

I also used the whole set in Indonesia and it worked great: weight pockets are easy to put in, require a good tug to pull out but most importantly I did not lose any!

Thanks to Don Quixote for looking into this and suggesting the tie-wrap fix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom