Mares Nemo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MelC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is probably a stupid question that anyone with a more techie brain than I could answer quickly but I have been researching dive computers and among others I was looking at the Mares Nemo. I noticed a great deal of angst being caused by the Iris infrared connection/download process which to me is a nice to have but not a deciding factor. My question, however, is if my laptop has a built in infrared port (which it does and which I have never had occasion to use so I am only presuming it works and has some sort of useful function), would I really need the Iris cable hookup?

I haven't found any mention of this in the Nemo manual or in a basic google search and I haven't looked at the IRIS specs or manual but my impression is that the watch talks via infrared and the IRIS translates the infrared communication and feeds it directly into your computer via cable. Presumably this heretofor useless infrared port on my laptop does the same thing? Obviously I would still need the software at a minimum.

Anyone able to satisfy my curiosity?

Mel

MelC:
My question, however, is if my laptop has a built in infrared port (which it does and which I have never had occasion to use so I am only presuming it works and has some sort of useful function), would I really need the Iris cable hookup?

I have a M1 RGBM.
You definitively need the Iris interface.
The Mares are not Irda compatible and cannot talk to computers.

DuboisP:
I have a M1 RGBM.
You definitively need the Iris interface.
The Mares are not Irda compatible and cannot talk to computers.

So, to translate for my slightly slow brain...whatever IR language the Nemo speaks won't be the same as the IR language my computer speaks? Am I even close?

Mel

MelC:
So, to translate for my slightly slow brain...whatever IR language the Nemo speaks won't be the same as the IR language my computer speaks?
yes, they don't speak the same English ! ( I'm french :wink: )

DuboisP:
yes, they don't speak the same English ! ( I'm french :wink: )

Thanks for your help. Moi je suis canadienne, alors je parle un petit peu de francais et un plus petit peu d'espagnol aussi. Mais je ne peux pas parle avec mon ordinateur.

Mel

MelC:
Thanks for your help. Moi je suis canadienne, alors je parle un petit peu de francais et un plus petit peu d'espagnol aussi. Mais je ne peux pas parle avec mon ordinateur.

Mel
Canadians and French people don't speak the same French, anyway ! :wink:

DuboisP:
Canadians and French people don't speak the same French, anyway ! :wink:

Quebecois and French people don't speak the same French but almost half of them don't consider themselves Canadian anyway. Those of us taught in other parts of the country are required to study parisian french so I don't understand a word that they are saying either.

Mel

MelC:
Quebecois and French people don't speak the same French but almost half of them don't consider themselves Canadian anyway. Those of us taught in other parts of the country are required to study parisian french so I don't understand a word that they are saying either.

Mel
Even in France, some people don't understand Parisian French ! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom