Mares Power Plana - Hollis F1 - Scuba Pro Jet - Aqualung Rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will do. The Small size I'm almost positive is a very recent addition. If you search around the world many shops are still only showing Regular, XL and XXL as available sizes. Last year in Japan only he 3 sizes were options. The shop I got them from told me they only got them small from this year. I'm curious now as to introduction/manufacture date, I'll ask over on Mares's forum. Last year when I was looking to buy from LP only had the 3 sizes too and they advised against my purchase believing the Regular would be too big.

Ok, did a couple of dives today with the new s size Mares Power Planas. Really like them, most importantly they fit perfectly. Added one of the extenders to each strap and was good to go. Able to do all kicks, easy to generate power when required. I have bought my last drysuit fin. So anyone with small feet and looking for some heavyish rubber fins I'd highly recommend the Power Planas. Hollis F1s were too big, L size jets too small and XL jets too big. The Power Planas in small, perfect. For comparisons sake, I am a 6.5 US, wear a Santi 2.5mm flex sole boots in a medium (8), with two pairs of socks one medium wool and one heavy weight the small Power Planas fit perfectly, no lateral movement at all. Cheers.

Size difference between large Jets and small Power Plana. As you can see the blade surface is quite a bit larger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 397
Size difference between large Jets and small Power Plana. As you can see the blade surface is quite a bit larger.

Do they have more flex than Jets? I didn't realize they were that much bigger.

Yes, they do. The Jets really only flex at the tip but the power planas flex the length of the fin, not hugely so but noticably more than the jets. The Planas have a channel in the middle which is softer than the uniform blade on the jets. For me they are a much better fin. I'm not a big guy but can generate much more power out of the Planas with less effort than the jets.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2015 at 02:15 AM ----------

I don't think I've ever been this happy with a fin. I have a very difficult time finding fins that fit and without exception every spring strap fin I've ever bought I've ended up swapping out the stock spring for a different length third party spring. These not only fit perfectly they also perform very well. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2015 at 02:16 AM ----------

I've added them to my list of favourite dive gear.

Thanks. I'm going to look into trying a pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're welcome. Definately worth a try, particularly if you have small feet and are looking for a heavyish rubber fin alternative to Jets.

I'm an 11 US Sizing. I'm on the lookout for a future substitute for Hollis F1's. I recently bought some Dive Rite XT's for when I need a neutral fin, they are replacing my Force Fins which didn't give me enough thrust in fast currents. My wife as Avanti Quatro + fins and loves them.

I didn't realize they were that much bigger.

Jets are very strange fins. If you are a size 11 then you should be using a XL jet which is larger than a L jet. I wear an XL jet and I am a size 10 and use hard sole neoprene booties.

I'm an 11 US Sizing. I'm on the lookout for a future substitute for Hollis F1's. I recently bought some Dive Rite XT's for when I need a neutral fin, they are replacing my Force Fins which didn't give me enough thrust in fast currents. My wife as Avanti Quatro + fins and loves them.

Them im guessing you'll need XL or XXL. What size F1s do you wear. The Mares seem slightly smaller than F1 equivalent. The Regular Power Plana is fractionally smaller than the Regular F1. I'm not sure about bigger sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom