Mares Puck Air pressure reading incorrect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumaresq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Has anyone ever seen this? I was diving this weekend when I realized the pressure reading on my puck air was almost 500 PSI high. Luckily I don't dive until my computer reads 500PSI or I might have had an Out of Air situation. I noticed this before a dive.

I've taken the computer into the shop I purchased it from (a little over 2 years ago). They are sending it to Mares for Service, but I suspect I am out of warranty, I am wondering if there is anything I should do here, this seems like a really serious problem!

Thanks!

I just purchased a Mares Puck Air, but this makes me want to put an analog spg on my system. I purchased an oceanic swiv combo from LP for 100. Standalone SPG around around the same, so I am thinking of just keeping this as backup analog system.

Good luck!

Sometimes computers need calibration. My Aeris Atmos Elite was showing 200 PSI lower than what I had (good direction to be incorrect). That was around 4 or 5 years after I bought it. No telling what Mares will charge. Never rely solely on a computer to tell you how much air you've got.

My Nemo Air always reads about 300 PSI more than my Oceanic VT3 - I always thought the VT3 was just conservative but a friend ran out of air on her dive when her Nemo Air showed she still had 300 PSI so I guess it's the Nemo with the inaccurate reading.

The thing is the computer has only been used on about 30 dives, so it isn't old and this only started happening this year, I can tell from my dive logs that last year it was reading a lot less. Now the AL80s I rent always seem to read 3400+ PSI last year they were always around 3000 PSI. That combined with it suddenly reading pressure when not connected to the tank seems bad. :)

I am careful to use some common sense about how much air I have, but when you say "Never rely solely on a computer to tell you how much air you've got" Do you mean I should have another gauge, or do you mean what I'm saying about paying attention to how much air I should have?

The thing is the computer has only been used on about 30 dives, so it isn't old and this only started happening this year, I can tell from my dive logs that last year it was reading a lot less. Now the AL80s I rent always seem to read 3400+ PSI last year they were always around 3000 PSI. That combined with it suddenly reading pressure when not connected to the tank seems bad. :)

I am careful to use some common sense about how much air I have, but when you say "Never rely solely on a computer to tell you how much air you've got" Do you mean I should have another gauge, or do you mean what I'm saying about paying attention to how much air I should have?

I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I dive the same computer without a backup, But just purchased and SPG as a backup pressure gauge and cross reference both units reading @ start of dive.

LP has then for 50-80

My Nemo Air always reads about 300 PSI more than my Oceanic VT3 - I always thought the VT3 was just conservative but a friend ran out of air on her dive when her Nemo Air showed she still had 300 PSI so I guess it's the Nemo with the inaccurate reading.

My Nemo Air is doing the same thing. I've noticed it tends to read high for some time now, but I thought it was just a percentage thing...about 8% higher than the gauge. But on my last dive, the depth recording suddenly decreased 2 ft compared to my Puck and they had always been spot on. And at shallow depth, it was apparent that the Puck was working correctly. So, I decided to check out my Nemo...and in particular, the tank pressure function. So, with a disconnected Nemo Air, I tried taking it to DIVE mode and then starting that to see what it would do, not expecting anything to actually happen. I was surprised to see, it does go there. I was very surprised to see it reading 304 psi....but I kept trying it wondering if it was just a glitch. I even reseated the battery to, in effect, reboot. And it did change. Now it reads 320 psi. Hey, I'm wondering if I keep this up, maybe...pretty soon... I won't need a tank! :D Those darn things are so heavy, my back will be so happy. :dork2:

Okay, I'm sending my Nemo Air in to Mares. It may be toast.

Has anyone ever seen this? I was diving this weekend when I realized the pressure reading on my puck air was almost 500 PSI high.

For good or bad, computers aren't serviceable either by the owner or the shop.

If your computer needs anything more than a battery replacement, it has to go back to the factory.

Sorry.

flots

I had a puck Air and it almost always seemed to read 100-200 psi lower than my spg.

I have SPG's on all my reg sets.
They are usually right on and never suffer from low battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom