Mares quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpstevens

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to buy my first set of equipment (BCD Regs and computer)
What do yo think about the quality of Mares ?

My own personal experience:

Fins, yes.
Wetsuits, OK
BCDs OK
Computers - no.

Having said that, they are not poor quality - simply that there is better gear on the market.

I have been using the Proton Metal regulator (see my picture) for about four years and am completely satisfied. The fins are good. The wetsuit was good, but a little tight for me. I can't comment on their computers. They recently brought out new computers as their old ones were getting obsolete.

The brand is volume-priced. You can buy it from Scubatoys, Diver's Direct or similar outlets for less money than the "Dive Shop-only" brands.

I own a couple pairs of Mares fins and I will buy more mares fins; best scuba fins made in my opinion, although I like my freedive fins more. :)

Prefer other brands for the rest of my gear.

regs = fine

wetsuits = fine

fins, I don't use their fins but see a fair number of other divers who do so I guess they're OK.

computers, I have no idea

BC's, I think they're too complex/gimmicky and I've seen a fair number of divers having problems with their integrated weight systems, so personally I'd avoid a Mares BC.

I have been using the Proton Metal regulator (see my picture) for about four years and am completely satisfied. The fins are good. The wetsuit was good, but a little tight for me. I can't comment on their computers. They recently brought out new computers as their old ones were getting obsolete.

The brand is volume-priced. You can buy it from Scubatoys, Diver's Direct or similar outlets for less money than the "Dive Shop-only" brands.

Ditto for me with Mares Proton Metal reg and Mares octo: four years or so and think it's great equipment. It's gotten lots of compliments from other divers, too, though I don't know if that counts for anything. Anyway, absolutely nothing "wrong" with Mares regs as far as I know. They seem to be on par in quality with other major brands.

But really, for a first set of dive gear, choosing from among the products offered by the various major manufacturers, I'd put price first and look for what is being offered as a special deal at the time you're ready to make a purchase. If somebody's offering a good deal on a Mares package, go for it.

Maybe an interesting poll would be: "Is there a major piece of equipment that you have that you truly dislike?" I'd be curious to hear who says they dislike their Mares reg, for example.

I have some Mares gear... I like my Prestige Reg, it's entry level but works well, the Puck2 computer is good, I like it because it's pretty simple to use and pretty much supports everything a new diver needs, BC is the only component I'm not too crazy about.. I have the AirTrim model and I actually would've preferred the conventional type with the hose as it's easier to use, my Mares BC's manual inflation valve also broke after about 30 dives :( so I would avoid the AirTrim models.

But really, for a first set of dive gear, choosing from among the products offered by the various major manufacturers, I'd put price first and look for what is being offered as a special deal at the time you're ready to make a purchase.

Price is a big consideration, maybe not #1, but right up there. Some divers spend so much on gear that they can't afford to get on a boat and dive.

Price is a big consideration, maybe not #1, but right up there. Some divers spend so much on gear that they can't afford to get on a boat and dive.

Yeah, I didn't mean for my reply to imply price should be No. 1. I just meant that among gear offered by essentially equally reputable manufacturers--and there are plenty of those--a diver who just needs decent first set of gear for all-around recreational use might want to simply go for a good deal when he finds one, rather than fretting excessively over the brand (not that the OP seemed to be in that category--he was just asking if Mares is considered good quality).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom