Mares Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishstout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are new recreational divers and would like to purchase our own equipment. We are looking for a good regulator at a reasonable price. We are looking at the follwing regulators and would appreciate any comments/feedback or any other suggested regs:

Mares MR-12 EPOS

Mares MR-12 Proton

Mares V-16 Proton

My current Regulator is the V-16 EPOS, and on my over 65 times underwater have found no reason to change. The Proton is new this year and well it is smaller that is about all I can say about that..

I will say that when my son is a certified diver I will be wanting to give him my current regulator and buying the V-22 Abyss

the APEKS line of Regulators along with the Mares are very good choices

Thanks for the info Fishkiller... BTW I noticed that you are in AZ too! Do you have any recommendation on a LDS?

I've just bought my wife the V16 but with the Proton second stage for its light weight. The V16 was described to me by a local dive shop as an "excellent" reg. If you dive in cold water you should think (depending on how cold) about fitting the cold water kit which is just a diaphragm to keep in an amount of silicon oil.

Thank you Welshman...

We did end up buying the V-16 with the Proton second stage from DiveInn. We can't wait to try it out in May when we are in St. John.

Well thank you too Irishstout. Hope you and your wife have a great holiday in St John. Where is that - are we talking Newfoundland or somewhere warm?

Thank you... It will be warm (St John USVI). We are renting a house in Cruz Bay (actual Bay rather than the city). The water temp is supposed to be around 79-85 f (26-29c).

We are looking forward to our trip!

BTW... How do you like your regulator and have you had any issues with it? It was a little tough to get any information on Mares as most of the people seem to have Apeks regs.

I suspected it was somewhere warm!

As for the Mares reg my wife hasn't tried it yet, but as noted earlier it got a thumps up from a LDS, and it is highly recommended by Rodales - see 2001 Testers Choice.

Apeks is meant to produce excellent regs - just see the volume of favourable comments on this site. It's a UK company which appears to have been taken over by Aqualung.

As for me I have an Oceanic Alpha 7 CDX which is very good.

Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom