Mares scuba package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also made an uninformed decision on my purchase....and i regretted badly it because my dad paid for it and i felt it did not give him a good worth.

My LDS uses the Mares Vector for their training. I feel it's ok for rental and teaching. You should do more research on the equipments you want.

abernier:
can you explain why i would want to upgrade later? because i plan to stick with diving. sorry, but i know nothing about the different type of equipment.

There might be a couple of things with that package that you might get buyers remorse about real quick. For example, the BC is not weight integrated. Most all are now, as it makes the BC more comfortable in the water if you don't have to wear a weight belt.

The reg system, it is an unbalanced reg - which is ok... but balanced, adjustable regs will make for easier breathing. Then with instrumentation, with that gauge console, it is not possible to pop out the pressure gauge and drop in a computer if you decide you want one later on.

So there are some things that may or may not be important to you in your future diving. If you want to give us a call and discuss the options, we'd be glad to try to help!

i don't know about the reg. etc but i just got back from Cozumel and this bcd is what they rented from the dive shop. i did 8 dives with one and it was really comfortable and seems to be built from a pretty heavy material.

I got back into diving in 2005 after taking some years off. Just to get going again, I bought the "bottom level" setup. After a year, I sold the BC on Ebay, for about what I paid for it, and the regulator was a keeper. If I had waited a year before buying, the rental costs for gear would have been something like $800, and that would have been money down the drain. I had a blast diving with my co-workers, too.

Dive gear is not like other purchases. That $90 tire on a car will last twice as long as a $45 tire. A $4 box of cereal contains more than twice as much as the $2 box. After years of diving, I've learned a bit. Paying double-price for premium gear gets stuff that's a little better, but it is not "twice better". All of it is safe and useful, unless you are doing something really extreme.

Welcome to diving, and have fun!

I dive with Mares Regulators and BCs, and my opinion is that the package seems to contain most of their "entry level" equipment. I have not dove with any of it, but I am happy with my Mares gear.

Personally, I went with the Mares Proton Metal regulators - as they are a little better suited for colder water diving and as Larry said has a balanced diaphram.

Take Larry up on his offer and give him a call at Scuba Toys. They would be more than happy to help explain things to you and have great prices too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom