Mares V1\Vector 1000 MRS versus ScubaPro Knighthawk

Which BCD ?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uaflyer

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am leaning more keenly at the Mares, but I thought I would solicit opinions.

Haven't actually gone diving with either one.
The Vector1000 is the 2005 model. As near as I can tell the big change is a different back padding.

The Knighthawk seems to have a more rigid back.

Whats your choice ?

beansed:

The Vector1000 is the 2005 model. As near as I can tell the big change is a different back padding.

Whats your choice ?

Hi, I haven't tried the mares but I have dived the Knighthawk and seaquest black diamond, and tried on and fiddled around with the chute 3, balance, and aeris atmos xt, and for me (6'2" 215) the knighthawk fit hands down better than the others I've tried, which is a bummer in some sense because for the deals I'm able to get it's maybe the most expensive one of the ones I've been considering, but what're ya gonna do- I'd definitely at least do a couple of laps around the store in both with weights in and be sure to inflate them, because a lot of them were very comfortable when empty, but on all except the knighthawk, for me, some combination of the trim weights (balance, black diamond, chute 3), plastic backpack handle (chute 3), or side bladders (aeris atmos xt) were poking or squeezing me pretty good when they were fully inflated- even better would be to try to rent or borrow both before deciding- I'm leaning towards the Knighthawk but like I said the Mares is one I haven't tried yet- What have you found about the Mares that was making you lean that way? Good luck at any rate.

powerofslack:
Hi, I haven't tried the mares but I have dived the Knighthawk and seaquest black diamond, and tried on and fiddled around with the chute 3, balance, and aeris atmos xt, and for me (6'2" 215) the knighthawk fit hands down better than the others I've tried, which is a bummer in some sense because for the deals I'm able to get it's maybe the most expensive one of the ones I've been considering, but what're ya gonna do- I'd definitely at least do a couple of laps around the store in both with weights in and be sure to inflate them, because a lot of them were very comfortable when empty, but on all except the knighthawk, for me, some combination of the trim weights (balance, black diamond, chute 3), plastic backpack handle (chute 3), or side bladders (aeris atmos xt) were poking or squeezing me pretty good when they were fully inflated- even better would be to try to rent or borrow both before deciding- I'm leaning towards the Knighthawk but like I said the Mares is one I haven't tried yet- What have you found about the Mares that was making you lean that way? Good luck at any rate.

There is a Mares Vector 1000 medium on EBay (under $180) right now, brand new with tags.
Not going link it cuase not sure its okay. Ends in a week I think

I like my Zeagle Ranger, but if the others are under $180 then it would probably be more then you want to spend. Sorry, I really don't know much about the others to give you a good opinion.

Michael Freeman:
I like my Zeagle Ranger, but if the others are under $180 then it would probably be more then you want to spend. Sorry, I really don't know much about the others to give you a good opinion.

Seems to me that $300-500 is the range most can expect to pay.
You may get lucky with a one time deal, but there are always risks and costs.
You might lose your $ over the Internet.
Having a local shop who can service your gear is always more important than saving a buck or two.

Finally what you are comfortable ($ or your life) with is what will both save you and protect you.

Have been diving the Mares V-1 MRS for about a year and have been extremely happy with it. I think I paid about 400 for it in my LDS. $180 off the internet sounds like one of those too good to be true deals. Typically, you get what you pay for. For a "main" piece of equipment you should consult your LDS. They can answer all of your questions on equipment, you get a warranty, and you keep them in business.

Is't it "vector 1000" and "V1" the same BC????

Share with u guys a very good deal:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_29/CategoryID_952/Sort_SKU/MRSV1.html

New V1000 for only $250 with MRS

I brought 2 sets a month and I am staying in Australia. I think the are clearing it and make way for the new model. No big different between the 2 models. In Australia it cost us$600, I make some money by selling the secound sets.

beansed:

Whats your choice ?

FYI, I was at Diver's Direct in Fort Lauderdale yesterday and they had the V-1 on Sale for $250. I believe their website has it for more but I'm sure they just haven't updated the price yet. Their website is www.diversdirect.com. I was thinking about buying this BC myself. From reading all the posts on this board I would also call scubatoys to compare pricing. I believe both Divers Direct and Scubatoys are both authorized reps so you will still get the warranty.

I ended up getting a V1 from a shop in Connecticut.

They were clearing them out because the new Vector 1000 has replaced it. I got it for about $220 shipped with MRS.

Dove with it for the first time in Hawaii and really liked it.
Appeciate everyone's thoughts and info.

DivingGator:
FYI, I was at Diver's Direct in Fort Lauderdale yesterday and they had the V-1 on Sale for $250. I believe their website has it for more but I'm sure they just haven't updated the price yet. Their website is www.diversdirect.com. I was thinking about buying this BC myself. From reading all the posts on this board I would also call scubatoys to compare pricing. I believe both Divers Direct and Scubatoys are both authorized reps so you will still get the warranty.

beansed:

Whats your choice ?
mares v1 simple

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom