Mares X-Vision Mask Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
Alright all you X-Vision owners, I need some help. I love my X-vision, but I don't have any online sources for extra mask straps. Do any of you? Thanks.

Will a bog standard generic strap not fit? Is the strap buckle different to a Mares Lirica. I own a of Lirica and it takes a generic strap.

I am about to purchase a Mares X-Vision and would be concerned if you can't use just any old strap in my "save-a-dive kit".

I was thinking about getting one until I saw that the strap connects to the skirt instead of the mask frame. Looks like a failure point? Other than that, it looks pretty functional.

I replaced my X-Vision straps with DIR velcro straps. Just slip them in. The velcro was 2mm wider than the strap slots but I just crammed them in... works perfectly. I was always scared that the soft silicone strap would break easily that's why I replaced it ASAP.

Regarding the strap connection... I honestly feel it's actually safer since bumps and the like aren't going to break the connection off. I feel that when the strap is attached to the hard plastic, it's more prone to breaking since the strap buckles stick out more. On the X-Vision, the buckles are slightly recessed and hidden behind the front frame. I don't think it would be a big issue either way.

There's a couple of threads that on the x-vision, and most people love it. I like mine very much, and it fits my face better then the cressi Big-eye. I don't see the strap connection to the skirt as much of an issue, as your mask strap shouldn't be under too much tension anyway, and like jplacson wrote, the buckles are recessed and out of the slipstream. I can get straps from a sorta-local LDS (order direct), but getting time to do it is my consideration. Online for some stuff is much easier. The DIR velcro straps idea is an interesting one, tho.

There's a couple of threads that on the x-vision, and most people love it. I like mine very much, and it fits my face better then the cressi Big-eye. I don't see the strap connection to the skirt as much of an issue, as your mask strap shouldn't be under too much tension anyway, and like jplacson wrote, the buckles are recessed and out of the slipstream. I can get straps from a sorta-local LDS (order direct), but getting time to do it is my consideration. Online for some stuff is much easier. The DIR velcro straps idea is an interesting one, tho.

For anyone who cares, I found that Trident makes a replacement strap that works perfectly fine with my X-vision. I can't find any product number, but it's the thin Trident mask strap (just a hair wider than the original x-vision strap), which my LDS matched up for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom