Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to say dive under the affect of any drug is smart or correct. It would really depend on the intensity and duration of the activity. I may drive at .06 percent alcohol on the way home from a bar, but no way would I do it in an Indy car.

I have used the weed and thought of it for diving. No one sells it to me anymore so that is not a problem. I decided that it would not be smart regardless. For those that do I would say a shallow drift dive is diferent that a DECO dive.

But don't be my buddy.

uhhh...general principal?

If you are prepared to be solo, think of yourself as solo, they cannot really hurt you much. Just don't let them touch your gear or be in charge of anything important.

I worry a little when the boat captains are not on their game. Pick-ups on drifts, mostly. I check them out pretty good by conversing.

That is the main thing, I have learned...size people up. Stoned, drunk..or just not too bright...allow for that.

If you are getting dropped at Pelelui, you better do a casual little check of the captain. If you are a mile offshore, with other boats around...like Coz, then you can overlook somebody that is not as "on it". The key is to be very aware of your circumstances and take inventory of who you are counting on, and for what.

OK, now I've just re-read the original post, and my last response to it. I'm embarrassed. My post made the OP out to be some naive, paranoid ignoramus. By his post he seems to be quite reasonable, just asking a simple question. Sorry, dude! He probably stopped reading this thread long ago.

I don't condone it, but think it is a valuable thread, for the reason that a lot of people are in denial about how common it is, especially in places like the Caribbean, where marajauna is a way of life for many. You need to be attuned to that and not indignantly refuse to accept it...if you are going on charter boats with guys weraing dreads and raggae shirts...there is a good possibility!

I think the best practice when diving with strangers, is to assess every single person in the critical chain for behavior by conversing some....they could just be really dumb! ..and honestly, you need to know that too.

catherine96821:
I don't condone it, but think it is a valuable thread, for the reason that a lot of people are in denial about how common it is, especially in places like the Caribbean, where marajauna is a way of life for many. You need to be attuned to that and not indignantly refuse to accept it...if you are going on charter boats with guys weraing dreads and raggae shirts...there is a good possibility!

I think the best practice when diving with strangers, is to assess every single person in the critical chain for behavior by conversing some....they could just be really dumb! ..and honestly, you need to know that too.
I think the figures in Norway was that 75%(!) or something like that of all the people between 20 and 35 have tried marijuana or canabis atleast once :eek:
Now how many of those who actually smoke on a regular basis I have no clue, but if its someone studying computer related topics i guess the probability is fairly high :p
Yeah, I would know, I did study computer science and there was a LOT of weed smoking there.. Now think further.. Those are the guys programming the computers in your planes and your dive computers and so on :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom