Marine Biology - Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

University of hawaii is supposed to have a pretty good program. From what I here from students is Hawaii Pacific University also has a pretty good program. It does not get a lot of the national spotlight, but it is a good university with a good marine biology program. In addition it is a great place to see marine biology up close and personal.

GoBlue!:
Hello all-

A colleagues daughter is currently searching for a University. She's very interested in science & marine biology, and is wondering where some of the leading places are for education. She's not a diver, and actually interested (at this time) in some of the larger marine mammals (yep, kind of the "I'd love to learn how to train Flipper" kind of gal).

Suggestions for me to pass on?

Jim

Jim,
I know that Texas A&M Galveston also has a Marine Biology Program. That is where I am currently going to go. I am doing some of my prerequisits in Colorado and starting at Texas A&M Galveston in the fall next year.

Hope this helps
Brandi

Well, being 24 and having gone through the system myself, I think I should give some input.

It seems like everyone is just throwing programs out from every state in the Union. I think a more practical approach is to see what geographic areas he's okay with sending his daughter.

She's in high school looking to start as an undergrad right? Most likely, the best state school in your state will suffice because all schools have majors in biology, and possibly some type of environmental science. Only if the school is compellingly good would I rationalize going out of state and paying the extra fees.

Then, when the end of undergrad is near you can investigate appropriate graduate programs. In other words, you shouldnt go to an undergraduate school just becuase its grad programs are good. The undergraduate and graduate programs have different curricula and tap into different resources, and the students live very different lives. You should realize that graduate schools accept students from all over the nation anyway.

For undergrad, the better factors to consider are the quality of life on campus (housing, costs, food, diversity, size, campus beauty, student morale, and especially facilities).

Most people may think they know what to do at that age, but things can change. Therefore, I think spending time in a large college away from home (in other words, living in the college town and not going to a commuter school) is a good way to explore oneself and try to get some direction. At least that's how my alma mater helped me.

In today's America, graduate study is mandatory to get any worthwhile job. My peers all agree at how fun, but how useless undergrad is today with respect to job searches. About 3/4 of my friends are pursuing or want to pursue some type of post-undergrad education.

If you're still looking for names of grad schools, PM me and let me know, as I'm investigating environmental grad schools myself.

This post will sound very biased, but (2) schools in rhode Island (new england/northeast) has some great schools locted minutes from the ocean.

rhode Island would be an ideal situation with marine fisheries, marine mammals all with in a short driving distance.

University of Rhode Island, has a wonderful (marine biology/Oceanography) program with some rather distingished guests (bob ballard) as visiting professors.

Roger Williams University, located in Bristol RI is on the water. They have a brand new Science building that pumps Narragansett Bay water directly into the classrooms. I am biased with this school as I have a degree from Roger williams University and loved every moment of college.

I'm at UC Santa Barbara studying marine biology. There isn't even a class on marine mammals here, so if thats whats shes interested in make sure that there is an emphasis in marine mammals there. Another idea would be to look at something in animal behavior or psychology as one of the other posters said. I saw someone posted a link from Dr. Milton Love's website, its pretty funny. Here's another of Dr. Love's pieces of advice http://www.id.ucsb.edu/lovelab/revenge.html

Have a good one,
Thomas

One of my roommates at Texas A&M-Galveston applied for one of those rare SeaWorld dolphin trainer jobs. He had to compete with over 400 applicants nationwide. He got the job, and you know why?

1. Physical underwater stamina
2. Entertainment Skills
3. Personal Attractiveness
4. Natural Charisma

Brett never even enrolled in our vaunted marine mammal course. In fact, at the time he was the only dolphin trainer there that even HAD a biology degree. He only did it for a few years, before turning to the ministry. Better pay and working conditions, if you can believe it.

The physical stamina tests weeded out the most people. Way tougher than that for lifeguards or DM's... I KNOW.

TostitoBandito:
If you like the pacific northwest, the University of Washington has a good Marine Biology program. They have labs in Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands and in Alaska. Here is a link:
http://depts.washington.edu/marbio/

Outstanding school for undergraduates. Even better for graduate studies. I'd rate it the best on the West Coast, better even than UC Santa Cruz.

GoBlue!:
Hello all-

A colleagues daughter is currently searching for a University. She's very interested in science & marine biology, and is wondering where some of the leading places are for education. She's not a diver, and actually interested (at this time) in some of the larger marine mammals (yep, kind of the "I'd love to learn how to train Flipper" kind of gal).

Suggestions for me to pass on?

Jim

I majored in Marine Bios in college, and it was recomended to those of us interrested in training that we double major in psychology, more specifically educational, child, or developmental psycology because that is what most of the marine mammal trainer positions require. All of the schools listed are excellent.
I've done a lot of advising to students searching for a college.
It is important for one to keep in mind, that when searching for a college the academics isn't the only thing to keep in mind. A university is going to be your home for the next 4 plus years. Make sure you like more than just your program of study, additonally the stats for students starting and ending with the same major are mind blowing, less than 50% for just about everyschool in the nation.

Also watch out for falling into the trap of going to a school right on the beach... that is the only area that they tend to study. I went to a landlocked university in Ohio (actaully went there for chemistry, but was one of those students that changed there mind) We traveled to 3 different locations to do field work (deleware, North Carolina, and the Bahamas) While Ohio Univeristy is by no means a prestigous marine bios school, I actually believe that the field diversity is a major benifit to that school.

Hope this helps.

Polly

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of field/career would involve deep sea research, using submersibles and a lot of field work, that sort of thing iam not exactly sure what field that would fall under.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom