Market Squid as you’ve never seen them before.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This all started because we were looking for worms.

Phil and I were asked to collect squid egg capsules for Leslie Harris at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. The purpose was to help her answer questions about the red Capitella polychaete worm that associates with squid eggs.

When we brought up the first egg string from Redondo Canyon, curiosity got the best of me, and I looked at it under the microscope. There were no worms on the capsule, but what I saw was amazing. Over the next few months, I photographed tiny, developing squid embryos. I hope you will find them as fascinating as we have.

Here’s their story:

Someone put a lot of work into that. Congratulations. But 18 minute just about put me out.

It used to be 22 minutes! Merry deleted for weeks trying to shorten it. It makes her crazy that it's so long, but she could have included more and made it a mini series. :)

Spectacular work ! I enjoyed the video, seems ready for a discover channel special.

I had a few nights diving with the Humbolt Squid in the Sea of Cortez. They are truely amazing animals.

I think that's the longest YouTube video I have ever watched, and it's absolutely priceless.

Did you guys go down and repeatedly harvest eggs, or do you have a salt water aquarium that you raised them in? And the video of the zooplankton, was that done from water samples taken during diving? You guys have me all afire to go buy a low power microscope and start taking containers into the water to sample and look at!

This is really, really cool, Merry, and I'm going to tell our local board about your video, and share it on Facebook, too. Thank you for the tons of work that went into putting that together and editing it!

That one deserves a Thank You ... best 18 minutes I've spent on ScubaBoard in a long time.

Well played ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom