mask options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silverfish

Reaction score
I am a newbie and want a mask with a purge valve and the best possible visibilty.I notice some mask advertise Low volume, what does that refer to? Also is periphal vision really possible and usable in a mask during diving.I am (of course) interested in any suggestions you may have as to a brand and style .

Volume is refered the the amount of space within the mask when it is on your face. The lower the volume, the less of an air space there is, making it easier to equalize the pressure when there is a mask squeeze.

There are many masks that offer a wide field of vision including some amount of peripheral vision. Many divers opt for masks that don't have that feature since they desire to concentrate on what is straight ahead.

The best mask advice I can give is to find one that is a very comfortable fit and seals against your face well. When selecting ANY gear, comfort is your main consideration, since if it doesn't fit well, you won't enjoy your dive. At first, don't worry too much about brands, just try on lots of masks until you find one that fits well. Then once you find a brand that fits your face, then you can seek out the options like purge and side windows.

Originally posted by silverfish
I am a newbie and want a mask with a purge valve and the best possible visibilty.I notice some mask advertise Low volume, what does that refer to? Also is periphal vision really possible and usable in a mask during diving.I am (of course) interested in any suggestions you may have as to a brand and style .

Another plus to a low volume mask is you can often see better in a low volume mask because your eyes are closer to the glass as well as less distortion.

This does help with peripheral vision too since your field of vision is bigger. When you are looking for your dive buddy this will come in handy. Or if you see something go by peripherally. I had this happen last weekend while diving at Clear Springs in Texas. I had yet to see a turtle while in the water and amazingly enough I saw one on my first dive. My buddy and I were kinda bummed since he didn't bring in his camera. So on the next dive he did. Then I though we wouldn't see another. But out of the corner of my eye I saw somthing fading into the hazy waters and I though, was that a turtle. So I commenced to chasing it and sure enough it was, now we even got pictures this time. My mask is a medium volume mask. Had I had a high volume I may not have seen it at all.

I use the Ocean Mater Z4 has a purge nice periphal vision and comes in blue

Comfort is above and foremost. Find something that fits you well and you can't go wrong. The best mask on the planet does you no good if it leaks. Some masks have side windows which adds periphial vision, but adds volume to a mask. I'd also like to point out that mask volume is only an issue to free divers (those who dive without an addition air supply) so don't concern yourself too much with the amount of volume a mask has. Go for something that fits well and lets you see comfortably out of it.

Black skirt vs clear skirt. The black doesn't discolor like the clear and let's in less light allowing a diver to be less distracted by bending light in the skirt and frame. It also let's you see into the shadows a bit better, making it a better choice for hunters and photographers.

Clear masks are incredibly difficult to find when your mask is off. Case in point.. Not that you would or should: But a bunch of us used to mess with each other as much as possible to improve inwater skills (ehem... play childishly) :) So we would steel masks, turn off air, cut fin buckles, steel fins etc. So when someone ripped your mask off and let it float, it would be hell trying to find it when it was clear. (learned this the hard way) Ah what can you say... kids will be kids, even if you are 30!

The advice from the previous posts is right on. Every mask squeeze I've seen was with a high volume mask. Mask squeeze can be severe enough to ruin a good dive trip. At minimum it makes you look like you have been punched out. How can you look cool with black eyes??

As Mario said, finding a black mask underwater is easier. Black also seems to diffuse the available light less.

You may want to rethink the purge valve. There are pros and cons but this really is a personal preference feature.

As everyone said, fit is the primary criteria.

DSAO

Hey Silverfish and all...

To find my take on purge valves, please do a search of the Warhammer Manuever. Its puging at it's finest!

:tease:

Back
Top Bottom