Mask question, Purge or not to Purge!

Mask: Purge valve or no purge valve?

• No Purge Valve (its a waste of time and money)

Votes: 103 68.2%
  • Yes Purge Valve (its a good solution)

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Who cares it doesn't matter how you clear your mask.

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No purge for me. Never really tried one. Seems like a uneccessary failure point, but no experience, so...

ScubaPro CrystalVu and ScubaPro Frameless.

I broke my main mask (w/purge) this last weekend, so had to buy another one quickly to finish my last dive. No purge.
I hated it. Every time I cleared it sprayed water in my eyes. So then I would have to clear it again, and etc. etc. I tried various little approaches to avoid this, to no avail.

Give me a purge on my mask, it just works better for me.

from another mustache wearer,we seem to do alot more purging than others,did the non purge for a couple years,but ended up getting another one,fit means everything,trimming doesnt hurt either.

I liked the purge my first mask had, Scubapro CrystalVue, and the windows on the side which did indeed add to my peripheral vision. Unfortunately, the little nipple or nub on the center on the inside of the purge pressed against my nose. After a 45 min dive my nose was killing me... nonpurge mask wasn't a hassle to clear so that's what I dive now.

I used No purge Mask..
Who care!!!Purge or none purge is depend what you like...

I used a purging mask for years, and with a mustache it really is alot more convent, because once you have a good seal a quick snort and you mask is clear, where as with a standard mask once you start clearing your mask you'll never get a proper seal again, and it becomes an issue of how much water you let in before you clear again. I mean check out my profile photo perfect expample LOL. I was actually waiting for some fish to get close for a photo and purging my mask kept scaring them off.

But with any piece of diving gear you should dive with what your comfortable with.

Food for thought: A lot of people say that purge masks are "unnecessary failure points". But think about this... how many other pieces of equipment do we use that also have check valves in them? How often do they fail?

The very fact that they are difficult to come by is a clear indication that the market is telling you that purge masks are for girls.

No need for a purge valve if you ask me. A mask, by design, is essentially just a purge valve fitted to your face. It's larger than a tiny typical purge valve and therefore makes it much easier to clear any amount of water out, be it just a few drops or the whole mask. Purge valves limit the amount of water that can pass through them and a diver must position himself so that the purge valve is at the lowest point to have it completely eliminate all the water inside. In some cases, you might like or want one but I really see no need. My Hydro-Optix mask has twin purges....it's the only thing I don't like about that mask!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom