Mask question, Purge or not to Purge!

Mask: Purge valve or no purge valve?

• No Purge Valve (its a waste of time and money)

Votes: 103 68.2%
  • Yes Purge Valve (its a good solution)

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Who cares it doesn't matter how you clear your mask.

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaiviti:
I have the whole goatee beard thing going on. What i find works best is vaseline. Just rub some of that over and i am great. The amount depends on the thickness of the beard.

Doesn't that can of boy butter get all over the place? I am visualizing some issues smearing that stuff on ones face.

I have and use both purge and non-purge masks.
I find the purge mask very handy when doing underwater photography or video, because I can clear the mask easily hands-free. It also works very well with a slightly leaky mustache. I just exhale slowly through my nose about every 3rd breath and the mask stays empty. Sometimes I can do that with a well-fitting non-purge mask, but it is more finicky, and I do have to lean back a bit.
The purge is also great for snorkeling, because I don't need to lean my head back to clear it.

Try one yourself to decide.
Thomjinx

ShakaZulu:
The very fact that they are difficult to come by is a clear indication that the market is telling you that purge masks are for girls.

well whats wrong with making things easier for the girls :p I like having them around. Even if they tend to dive longer on smaller tanks, swimm faster and use less weight. I like cutting their dive short. :) They look good in wetsuits.

Have always used a purge mask and I love it. no looking up and getting all goofy-looking. All I do is exhale through the nose once in a while and all the water is gone...poof...presto.
Used a non-purge mask for one dive and it sucked.
I guess it's a personal matter....but I persoanlly prefer a purge.
Once you drive a Cadillac, you never want to go back to a Caprice Classic...even though it will suffice as well for the same job.

Back
Top Bottom