Mask Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Gurl82

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good website that sells soft mask straps?

Diver_Gurl82:

Do you really want one? They don't "stick" as well as the silicone straps. I had a wave hit me and knock the neoprene strap off more than once. My theory is "easy on east off". I don't use them anymore. I might sell you one cheap. But not without the above warnning Send PM.

Any dive shop will have these typically wih the name of the shop printed on the strap. I think they are $10 each at scubatoys.com

ChrisA:
Do you really want one? They don't "stick" as well as the silicone straps. I had a wave hit me and knock the neoprene strap off more than once. My theory is "easy on east off". I don't use them anymore. I might sell you one cheap. But not without the above warnning Send PM.

Any dive shop will have these typically wih the name of the shop printed on the strap. I think they are $10 each at scubatoys.com

I had one before and loved it....much easier with long hair. i just bought a new mask and somehow lost my old mask that the mask strap was attached to.

ChrisA:
Do you really want one? They don't "stick" as well as the silicone straps.
That's right, but, like Diver_Gurl82 indicates, you may or may not want it stick.

My daughter's doing her JOWD course now, with my wife along as a refresher; they're both required to wear swim caps in the pool, and nylon/neoprene straps are too slick over those -- the original silicone mask straps went back on. But when they both start diving in open water, I'll bet with their long hair they're going to want the nylon/neoprene straps back.

Where are you keeping your mask, that it keeps getting knocked off by waves?

--Marek

Diver_Gurl82:

Not that you should be DIR but they do say "After-market neoprene straps are usually quite comfortable and seem to be nearly unbreakable" and advise "The strap must be secure and resilient so as to limit the risk of dislodging the mask or breaking the strap."

Check out these sites:

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/files/products/details.cfm?ProductID=115
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?Op=Search

LP has several models.... speaking of which nice pix in you profile.

I have the Scubatoys one which is a complete replacement for the silicone strap, and I love it. However, I recommend you go to your local outdoor gear shop and replace the quick disconnect buckles with 3/4" plastic Tri-Glides. I lost my mask on a dive once because the quick disconnect... well, disconnected. This happened once. :wink:

Or, if you really want to go one step further, I like this... a Marsoops strap and cover. I thought it was pretty weird at first, but I like it for two main reasons...

First, with my very strong (and therefore heavy) corrective mask lenses, this strap has enough neoprene in it to make my mask very nearly neutrally buoyant... good if I drop it overboard, or if it comes off in mid-water for some reason (my Marsoops strap is lime green, so that even I should be able to see it).

Second, also because of the corrective lenses that I don't want to scratch, drop, or otherwise damage, the strap turns inside-out to become an on-the-spot soft padded mask case.

Sounds kind of dorky, but it works... and you can't tell by looking at it.

Has good slide buckles for attachment, and has never come off on me.

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom