Question Why does my Oceanic Shadow fart?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My backup mask (Oceanic Shadow) farts. It vents air out the skirt throughout my dive. Pressing the skirt against my forehead stops it for a bit but it will vent itself at the top of my breath cycle. Strap is tight enough to hold it on my head but not too tight (more or less the same tightness as my Zensee). It does this whether the mask strap is snug or loosened up. No water leaks in, it’s like it’s venting excess pressure. It’s consistent, and it’s not little bubbles like when you get a hair caught in it.

it fits (holds onto my face while holding an inhale and looking down, no strap) as does my TUSA Zensee. My Zensee does none of this.

Any ideas what would be causing this?

Sounds like you're breathing out through your nose. For some reason this mask is shaped in a way that causes that air to be retained rather than exit below your nostrils. The air has to eventually go somewhere so when enough pressure builds up it breaks the seal with a noticeable sound.

So that’s my initial thought too. So I tested both with a breath hold.

I tried it on back to back dives to 50ish feet. I equalized both and then took a breath, holding it for a few seconds after I equalized. Zensee did nothing weird. The Oceanic started venting after a second or so. Do you think there might be something up w my reg? Like maybe it’s not closing all the way and the stiffer Oceanic isn’t holding the pressure as well?

My oceanic is more comfortable on deeper dives, and doesn’t leak, but this is an irritating occurrence

So that’s my initial thought too. So I tested both with a breath hold.

I tried it on back to back dives to 50ish feet. I equalized both and then took a breath, holding it for a few seconds after I equalized. Zensee did nothing weird. The Oceanic started venting after a second or so. Do you think there might be something up w my reg? Like maybe it’s not closing all the way and the stiffer Oceanic isn’t holding the pressure as well?

My oceanic is more comfortable on deeper dives, and doesn’t leak, but this is an irritating occurrence
Not sure. Unless I'm missing something the only way for air to get into your mask is by your nose or your exhaust bubbles. So if you're holding your breath and it's still happening I can't think of an answer.

Do you think there might be something up w my reg? Like maybe it’s not closing all the way and the stiffer Oceanic isn’t holding the pressure as well?
Have you removed the second stage from your mouth while underwater to check for bubbles?
If no bubbles then the regulator is not the cause, if the second stage emits bubbles then the reg needs adjustment or service.

Excess pressure from first stage not locking up, or second stage needing adjustment will be vented via the second stage.
In this scenario a mask will burp at top of inhalation cycle as air escapes from the nose.

Have not. I’ve seen and addressed octo bubbles in the past, but never checked beyond a flow/function check with my primary

I can't see this as being anything other than gas from your nose. Have you tried stabilizing at a set depth and then completely sealing (pinching) your nose closed for a minute or two while continuing to breath normally?

No haven’t tried that, I’ll give it a shot thoughI’m leaning towards there having to be some sort of airflow I’m not aware of out my nose as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom