mask suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well sorry for the bad advice. Like I said the trim worked for me. I was told to use the Vasoline by my dive instructor. So again sorry for the bad advice. I will shut up now:wink:

1) I have a mustache and don't do anything special and have no leaking problems with my TUSA Platina (NOT the Platina Hyperdry).

2) Using the search function on the board, search on "mustache" and you'll get hundreds of suggestions. Always use the search function before etablishing a new topic. 95% of the time you'll discover you can find the answer to your question without even having to ask it -- you can't get a prompter answer than that!

3) So the rec agencies are certifying instructors so inexperienced that they're recommending putting petroleum products (Vaseline) on silicone. That's just ducky.

Please take this to heart: Take everything your instructor and the LDS tells you from this point forward with a grain of salt. Petroleum producs is a very basic, very stupid mistake -- one I would not expect a good instructor to make by any stretch of the imigination.

Roak

pipelayers:
I'm sure there are people out there that dive and have a mustache. How do you get your mask to seal.
Hey Pipe. This is a funny sport. Folks are always looking for novel solutions, equipment, and secret strategies. A lot of ideas get tossed around that involve new new equipment as a solution instead of simply refining one's skills. So often, the solution is simply a matter of making certain skills automatic, and the "problem" just seems to disappear.

This goes for The Mustache' Solution. Most infrequent divers believe that the mustache is going to be a problem, even before they get in the water. In actual practice, the mustache is a minor problem for only a few folks, but only if the have a grossly ill fitting mask, or until they learn to clear the mask without thinking about it. Usually, if the mask comes even close to fitting properly, the pressure from the water will help seal the mask over most mustaches - even burley ones. There might be a minor leak, or the leak might increase with laughter, but again- automatic clearing without thinking solves the problem. Of course low volume masks will minimize the annoyance and effort - and of course there are so many of the mondogigundo masks on the market that way too many new divers are snookered into buying these, only to find out how annoying they are when actually diving. (But they do look good on magazine models!)

Anyway, before slopping stuff on your 'stache, make sure your mask is low volume, make sure it actually fits, and then make clearing 2d nature. Mustache drip will be a concern of the past!

The best way to avoid mask leakage is to have a mask that fits properly, irrespective of whether you have a moustache or not. I have a moustache and I don't trim the top edge of it or use any sort of sealant. I occasionally have a small amount of leakage, but it's not a big deal.

Like I said in a earlier post... I have a great deal of facial hair... I tried the 3/8th trim below the nose but honestly the rash wasn't worth it.

I use a Look Mask and honestly never used ANYTHING to help my mask seal... IMHO get a masj with a larger skirt

B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom