Mask used for free diving won't work for scuba.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My circumstance may be unique to monocular vision impaired divers, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

I have very limited vision in my right eye...pretty much just peripheral vision. I can pick up an image on my far right side that about equals something seen at the same location on my left. However, on my right side that level of vision is the same even in front. My brain pretty much disregards what my right eye sees in front, leaving my right eye basically blind to what is directly in front of it.

I have an Omer Alien frameless mask that I've used for quite a few years for free diving. I love the mask, and it has worked extremely well for me. However, I've found that I just can't use it for scuba. My Alien mask has a black skirt, so I'm losing even that right side peripheral vision. I can't see at all to my right with my left eye because the bridge of my nose blocks that view. With scuba and the need to be consistently aware of my buddy and other divers, the Alien mask just isn't working. Imagine if your buddy is on your right, and every time you're checking on them you have to turn your entire body to spot him/her. It was never a problem while free diving. When free diving I'm far more independent, and I'm focused on what is directly in front of me during my short stay underwater.

Omer doesn't make a clear skirted mask. I'm really attached to a low volume frameless mask, so I'll be looking for another brand that makes it in a clear skirt. I'm not expecting to see clearly out the side of the skirt, but having the ability to see movement from my right will be invaluable.

There are lots of masks that have clear skirts. I prefer one just for the reasons you mentioned, being able to spot my dive buddies off to the side. I use a Mares Liquid Skin and am happy with it.

One thing I would recommend doing with your buddies is learning to use really bright lights, as in 21watt or higher can lights to communicate location and other signals. This would help you immensely. For instance your dive buddy just passes his light in front of you every so often, and you never even have to look at them. If they need to get a hold of you, they can slowly wave their light in front of you, and if there is a major problem, frantically wave their light in front of you. With a good dive buddy I do not have to look at them since I can watch their light moving around as they search for critters. Plus if they highlight something I didn't see, I get to see it, and vise versa.

Part of the pre-dive brief can include discussion of your vision with your buddy and you can ask them to stay to your left.

I often have this discussion because I prefer the buddy on the left anyways since I'm left handed, left eye dominant.
The clear skirt won't help that much more because you still can't see through the skirt well.

All good tips. Thank you. I especially like the recommendation to include it in the pre-dive discussion.

As for not being able to see clearly through the skirt, I don't expect to. But, if I know my buddy is to my right and I see movement in my peripheral vision, odds are good that it's still my buddy there to my right. That is way more comfort than I have with my current mask.

Have you considered a mask with side windows? I use an Oceanic Ion 3. I prefer the black skirt, but they do come in clear as well. They are also low volume and can be had for about $60.

I have also used the Omer Alien... great mask! My go-to favorite is the ScubaPro Scout... and it comes in clear! Try one, I think you'll be impressed!

I also have a Mares I3. It's almost identical to the Oceanic Ion 3 except that the Oceanic has the neoprene strap.

Either way, a mask with side lenses will be much better for peripheral vision.

Buddies can be trained to always be on one side if they are told the reason. I have no vision problems that I know of, but on the few non solo dives I do not not as the guide/instructor, I only ever check to one side for buddies, and lose them if they go to the other side.

I have no idea why this is but it is, so I have learned to tell divers to be there or expect to be unseen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom