Masks for Small Faces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
I know we tried the Aqualung Tyke (or was it the Tyke Midi, or both? I can't recall.) and it was very close, but the fit was not as good as the Sporasub.

Sport Chalet probably carried 30-40 different masks, but only a few are for small faces... and of those, only the one seemed to actually fit her tolerably well. We'll try more this weekend, however.

CompuDude,

There are a couple of masks out there for smaller faces and I've tried most of them because I too have a long narrow face LOL!

If possible let her try out these masks:
Cressi Lince
X Vison Mid
The X Vision and Pure Vision both broke on me and their replacements failed too so personally I'm not too keen on getting another mares mask soon but they work for some just not for me.

Although these masks are not designed for smaller faces they tend to fit most very well:
Atomics
Poseidon 3D

Surprisingly there are many masks out there that although not designed for specific faces do fit quite well and no harm trying out as many as you can instead of just focusing on the few designed for smaller faces. Don't forget the freediving masks too.

SangP

I use the above mentioned Mares X Stream, and I like it (black silicone/transparent plastic).

After trying 25 masks, this was the only one that would fit and not fell off my face when doing a test in the shop, since I also have a narrow face problem. Plus, it is really comfortable.

This is the mask:
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/maresxstream.jpg

Sporasub Samurai.
Divers Direct has them although I don't think they are shown in the catalogue or web site.

SangP:
CompuDude,

Although these masks are not designed for smaller faces they tend to fit most very well:
Atomics
Poseidon 3D

SangP

Atomic is coming out with a mask that is designed to fit smaller faces. Should be out pretty soon. I haven't used one but several people who have say they love them. It will probably be my next mask.

SwimsWithSharks,

Thanks for the info but I have enough masks as it is and I've found 3 great masks that fit me to a T. The Tusa M23BK, Oceanic Shadow (backup) and the IST Panorama (coolness factor cus it's frame is black anodized alu). I didn't quite like the style of the atomic, it just looks plain weird with it's funky colours and bug eye look.

I like the fit of the sporasub star mask but unless I'm going to do some freediving, I think I'll pass.

SangP

My wife is small and she dives a Dacor Edge. Nice looking with clear skirt. www.divers-supply.com will have them I think they are under $30.00.
I may have a pair left in my inventory. (If I do they will be brand new) Email me @ thedivebum@aol if you do not find them and I will check.

Ok, we hit a different Sport Chalet yesterday, since all other dive shops near us (where we were at the time) were closed Sundays. I was hoping the X Vision Mid would work for her, but it was way too big. Another issue with several other smallish masks was her small nose, which made it difficult to pinch her nose through the mask, for clearing purposes. Those masks were eliminated.

She tried a silver Aqua Lung Tyke Midi, and this one seemed to fit better than the last one, oddly enough, so we picked one up. With any luck, later this week we'll have a chance to snag some pool time to make sure it fits well. Assuming all is well, our search is over. If it leaks, it's back to the drawing board... I might order the black version of the Sporasub mask from JoeDiver, since it's a little less hideous than the camo green one that fit her pretty well. Hopefully she'll be ok with the Tyke midi, though, since it's looks are among the best of those that fit.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom