Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The NAUI and PADI Master Diver programs are completely different animals. To say they cover the same but NAUI crams it into one course, as was stated in a previous post, is inaccurate. Many of the diving activities/skills in NAUI's program would be covered under the separate PADI specialities used to get the PADI MSD (such as equipment, night diving, navigation, etc.). In that regard they are quite similar. But I'm unaware of any PADI specialities that cover diving physics, physiology, environment or decompression/recompression theory; all of which are heavy topics in the NAUI program.

I think each program serves its purpose and it's up to the diver to determine which aligns more with his/her interests, since there isn't one ruling organization to determine what constitutes a "master scuba diver." Some believe mastering only practical diving skills is the ticket to being "master," PADI would fit the bill (assuming you select real specialities). Others believe understanding the science involved in diving in addition to the skills makes you a "master scuba diver," NAUI better fits that philosophy.

Certainly PADI is in business to make money. But to say all they're doing is grabbing your cash isn't a fair statement. I will say this.... since there's no difference between a PADI diver with Rescue, 5 specialties and 50 dives and a PADI diver with Rescue, 5 specialties, 50 dives and a MSD card (except one paid a $40 processing fee), it would be nice if PADI recognized their divers with a free MSD card once they've completed the requirements. You've spent nearly $1,000 in training beyond AOW by the time you complete the PADI MSD requirements.

rico68:
The NAUI and PADI Master Diver programs are completely different animals. To say they cover the same but NAUI crams it into one course, as was stated in a previous post, is inaccurate. Many of the diving activities/skills in NAUI program would be covered under the separate PADI specialities used to get the PADI MSD (such as equipment, night diving, navigation, etc.). In that regard they are quite similar. But I'm unaware of any PADI specialities that cover diving physics, physiology, environment or decompression/recompression theory; all of which are heavy topics in the NAUI program.
Another difference with PADI if that the 5 electives are just that, electives. So someone could get Master diver by taking nav, night, etc. But they could also get it by taking all the fish ID type specialties.

True enough. That's why I added "assuming they pick real specialties" later in the post. If all someone wanted was the bragging rights to "master scuba diver" without any care for real knowledge it could be done "lite" with PADI's program. I'd like to think that mentality is by far the exception, not the rule. But it could be done.

The real point is that the NAUI Master Diver card is evidence that the holder dives at the level that is expected of a NAUI Instructor. The PADI MSD card does not have any clear definition, the only thing that can be ascertained, by possession of said card, is that rescue training and five specialty courses have been completed.

As someone pointed out in another thread this is sort of like the difference between completing a degree program and "taking a few college classes."

Just an observation mostly. It seems like most of those arguing on the pro side of master diver rating are carrying the card. The opposition are not. I myself have one. I think of it as a newb mile marker. Remember when I only had 50 dives and got this here card? I plan on starting tech training with IANTD this spring. I think that stuff is real. I think there has been some pretty good points brought up on both sides of the issue. I do think that there was some handy info in the "specialty" courses. Now students are all different. You can really 'get into' what you are learning or sit in the back of the class and make a c. Unfortunately both students get a card. I think this devalues the hard worker holding the same card. I don't really feel that 'master diver' is really a 'certification' any how. I mean after you get 100 dives, if you are so inclined to do so in ssi, they replace that card with a 'century' card. At least I think so I very well may be wrong. So in my mind I look at it as just a mile marker with a little more effort.

Now for the argumentative side. I am surprised that some of the old salts haven't said something like; AOW should be the entry level of training and master diver should be advanced and a true master diver should be fitted for a cape.:D

scubalifer:
I am surprised that some of the old salts haven't said something like; AOW should be the entry level of training and master diver should be advanced and a true master diver should be fitted for a cape.
I couldn't agree more, but you set your sights too low. The MSD learning objectives are used for our "entry level" reseach diver course.

One of the things that the PADI MSD card does is help provide a goal for divers to seek more education. We're all a goal oriented society, and having that milestone out there serves as extra motivation for many people. After someone has done a few of the specialty courses (presumably to gain some specific knowledge, like night diving or Nitrox) they're likely to think "hey, a couple more courses and I qualify as MSD". PADI are exceptional at marketing and they understand this and it generates more revenue for them. But the end result for the diving community is that there are some people that will be a little more educated than they would otherwise be. And even if it is only things like fish ID classes, more education in our sport and its environment is a good thing for the community as a whole.

I couldn't agree more, but you set your sights too low.

It's amazing how training has changed over the years. When I was in college (late 70's) I took scuba as a PE class, and it was very rigourous. We did skills day after day, OOA exercises, CPR, dive medicine, search/recovery, unconsious diver recovery, zero visibility exercises (with blacked out masks), and many slide shows of marine life identification. After the whole semester, we still were not able to be certified because the "training wasn't sufficient enough to meet the basic standards". Now one can do 1/10th of what we did and be called an "Advanced Diver".

BTW, one can't blame PADI for this state of affairs - it is the industry in general that created the dumbing down of training. Scuba is a lifestyle activity that requires a large investment in time, commitment, and money, and these commitments become slightly greater with each year. If the industry did not fuel the ranks with new divers, it would not only reach saturation but would likely suffer a significant decline. What PADI and others have done have marketed an easier way, trying to reduce initial training as a strong barrier. PADI, the manufacturers, retailers, boat charterers, etc. have all benefited and had a stake in this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom