Maui 2-3rd Week of Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

da-gd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We'll be in Maui. Diving is not our 1st priotity, but we'd certainly like to get wet since we're there. Just looked in the FAQs and can't seem to find info on what kind of conditions we can expect, what mm suit might be in order, how vis is, etc. We are staying at Wailea.

Thanks in advance!

Thickness of suit is so personal and really depends on your cold tolerance and how much you're diving. B&B's website shows that the water temperature is currently 77 degrees. We've been going to Maui every year for Christmas for the past 3 years and the water is 74-76 degrees, so it'll be interesting to see if it's warmer this year, or if it drops 1-3 degrees between now and the 22nd when we do our first dive. :wink:

All that said, most folks who are only doing a couple of dives are fine in 3mm full suits. If you're clustering your dives (3-4 days in a row), you might want either a 5mm full or a 3mm + vest (hooded or not). We'll be diving 9 days with only 1 day off in the middle so I'll be in my 7mm full and my husband will be in his 5mm Merino lined full suit. You can clearly tell I'm determined not to be cold (for the first time) this year! :)

As far as conditions, in our experience viz has always been excellent unless there's been rain storms and you're diving a near shore site. At Molokini you can pretty much count on 100+ foot viz. Everywhere else 50+ feet is pretty typical. Conditions will vary, but we've typically had good sea conditions in the mornings until the trades pick up, but one good thing about Maui is that the operators know exactly where to go for the best diving, regardless of the conditions.

Hope that's helpful.

I have been in Maui many times. We have a timeshare in Kihei. I agree with DiveMaven in principal but since you are from Phoenix 5mm full suit would be a minimum. It is actualy cold in the morning, when boats are leaving. I always dive with Ed Robinson. They leave from the Kihei boat ramp.
Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures - Contact and Information
If you do just a few dives, don't miss Cathedral I or II dives.

Gotcha...Thanks for the info and if you ever come to Arizona to dive....OK, well how about just thanks :wink:

When Goodive mentioned Cathedral I and II, he is referring to diving Lanai. You'll have to catch a boat out of Maalea harbor or one out of Lahaina to do Lanai, but it's well worth the effort IMO. Most recommended dive op for Lanai is Extended Horizons.

Like Goodive, our preferred operator is Ed Robinsons as well. Geared toward the more experienced diver and you dive YOUR tank, not the fastest breather's tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom