Maui Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piratediver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Quick question....We have a small group of 8 divers headed to Maui in Mid-March. Are there any operators that can do both the Molokini Crater as well as Lanai? Most websites offer one or the other, I'd rather use one shop for the whole weekend if possible.

It's because the dive ops based out of Kihei typically go to Molokini and the diveops based out of Lahaina typically run over to the Cathedrals/Lana'i.

Ed Robinson's runs to Lana'i once a week out of Kihei.
Lahaina Divers alternates between Molokini and Lana'i every other day.

I highly recommend Ed Robinson's if all the divers are at your experience level.

I second Ed. Good operation but like it was said, no baby divers, they take you to the limits.

Unfortunately for you, Ed Robinson's only does their Lanai charter on Wednesdays, and you mentioned above that you're planning for a "weekend". That's going to narrow you down to one choice if you insist on diving only with one operator for both Molokini and Lanai, and that's Lahaina Divers, which goes to Molokini on Saturday and Lanai on Sunday.

We dive with LD quite often as we love their big 46' Newton boats (motion sickness issues for me), and we've found the crew to be fun and professional. However, the trade off is the potential for up to 24 divers on the boat, which frankly, we've only experienced on their afternoon charters because of the Discover Scuba folks.

Be aware that the boat ride to Molokini is LONG from Lahaina. Typical profiles are 65' for 35ish minutes. We dive with computers so usually get 45 minutes on both dives, but they will send hoovers up to the boat early. LD also does 2 dives at Molokini crater, where some ops only do one there and one off-shore of Maui on their way back to the marina.

I'd really recommend that you book with an operator out of Kihei for Molokini and one out of Lahaina for Lanai. Extended Horizons (12 pack, same dive profiles as LD) and Lahaina Divers are your choices out of Lahaina. (Many prefer EH to LD for Lanai, but I hate being crammed onto EH's boat). Out of Kihei, go with B&B, Mike Severns, or Ed Robinsons to Molokini...all are recommended highly.

Also, bear in mind that mid-March is the beginning of "spring break" season, so book early to make sure you get the charters and operator you want.

as far as I know Maui Dive Shop still does trips to Lanai and Molokini. They also leave from different harbors for each, so it might be an option as well. With 8 divers you will nearly fill up most boats by yourself over here (most are 12 packs) so you will definitely want to reserve early.

Personally I'd go B&B for Molokini and EH for Lanai... and if you call B&B ahead of time you can request what dives you want off the Kihei coast if you let them know how many divers you are bringing. They will do their best to accomidate your group. If you prefer you can go to their website/store forum and post specific questions for them there. http://dchess.com/bbscuba/forums/index.php

Aloha, Tim

The Maui Dive Shop does do both locations but honestly why not just go with an operation that specializes in one or the other. You may find youself doing very long boat trips and that's not fun.

OK, I guess everyone is suggesting the same thing, so the audience must be right, I think we are going with Mike Severens for Molokini and Ed Robinsons for Lanai. We are trygin to get a full 12 divers so we can have some say in where the boat is going to go as well. Thanks for all the help here

Mike

Back
Top Bottom