Maui Dive Shop boat sink[ing]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the reason MDS didn't just take their other boats out and tow it back is that there were reportedly 4-6' seas betweeen Molokini and Kihei.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been easier to just swim over to one of the big snorkel boats for a "rescue" with a bbq on the side... but maybe they were further away.

The "hole" created should have been about 6" across -- so it would have been quick, but we're not talking about a little dinghy, either... there should have been several minutes to collect themselves and abandon ship. Of course, it does depend on at which point the captain came up from the hold and decided to tell people that it was going down. :)

Any clue what kind of penalties (if any) MDS might face for sinking a boat at such a protected site as Molokini? Would imagine they're not only facing salvage costs, but fines as well.

Thanks for all the updates.

Mike: that is how I understand it... it was floating until the CG compromised the hull in order to sink it.

Of course, it would have already affected the environment -- the fuel would have been in a position to be leaking as MDS left it.

Doug: no, I'm not kidding you.

The story (from a credible source) I received was that the MDS boat was floating with only its bow about 3 feet out of the water until late Friday, when the Coast Guard determined it was a hazard (in case it broke mooring, etc.) like that, so they compromised it, causing it to completely sink. It apparently landed directly on a coral bed in 40' of water, near the Enenue mooring.

Hazards to navagation must be removed. Im suprised that they did not try to tow it to deeper water first. Well, it is the coast guard, ya just never know wich way they will go.

hey, I know what an impeller is and what it looks like----we lost ours on our second trip out in 5 foot swell with my son on crutches. Scarey---I went out and bought an IPIRB and all the next day.

I was so traumatized, I now carry an inertube on the boat.

Well, the conditions weren't that great for towing -- I'm guessing they thought it could get away from them if they tried to move it, so they dropped it right there... perhaps also as a favour to MDS so they could attempt recovery at a later time.

Mike: I have no idea how they compromised it... maybe shooting rounds, maybe using a drill, maybe even a small explosive charge! I wouldn't put any of these options past them... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom