Maui Dive Shop boat sink[ing]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAUI DIVER:
Aloha Al,

I apologize for the bs goin on here. I have ceased to acknowledge.

MDS has a one tank you can do from kihei boatramp to the backwall.

They offer it as a one tank, two tank or three tank. they bring one tankers back in and pickup any 2 tankers and the three tankers stay on for the full monty.

I figure its about 70 bucks considering there two tank is 140.00

aloha.

I think he was talking about the people that were on the boat when it sunk :blinking:

Off to Maui on the 15th, maybe too much to hope for that it will still be on the bottom by then....

catherine96821:
how 'bout an update on YOU, Al?

good to see you.
Hi Catherine, good to see you too although from your current avatar you really didn't age as well as I thought you might :wink:

Just doing some classes, the herbman assisted me with last months class. In a couple of weeks I'll be on Maui doing a months worth of dives. My computer only retains 99 dives so I'm certain I'll need to write some in a logbook or I'll lose them :D

Tomorrow I'll be diving in my drysuit in about 55 degree water, I'm so anxious for tropical.

We're doing a little real estate looking this trip also.

This is such a shame. Of course, first of all, I am really glad that everyone on board is ok. I imagine it was traumatic for some of them. Others might look back at this as a great vacations story...who knows. But the most important thing is that no one was injured.

That being said, the damage to the environment (boat on the coral, oil/fuel in the water) is a huge shame. I am sure that MDS is mortified. I am sure they feel terribly about this. I feel bad for them. I am not saying they are not responsible for what happened...I'm just saying they must feel exceptionally bad and I acknowledge that.

I hope they are able to raise the boat, get her back home, and get her going again. The stress they must be having over this will follow them for a long time. I am sure there will be deserved consequences...and they will do what they have to do to "pay their dues"...

Anyway, if anyone from MDS reads this...just know that there are others in the local industry who feel your pain.

The MDS boat was raised on Saturday I think. I was just out there today and the boat was gone. The captain of the boat was rather new with somewhat rough sea conditions. A mooring line was sucked up into the engine. When the captain tried to remove the line, he opened a hatch on the deck which was full of water. With all the weight on the rear of the boat (people, gear), it flooded quickly and sunk within 15 minutes. If he would have moved the folks to the front it may not have went down. He should have had someone try to remove the line from under the boat first as well. Really could have happened to anybody, any operation. Just unlucky. Now the State is upset with MDS because of the delays raising the vessel. Not sure what they'll do.

jlivengo: actually it was Friday.

There were a few things that hopefully wouldn't happen again:
1. the passengers were given very little time to abandon ship -- it should have taken several minutes to go down, but neither the rest of the crew, nor the passengers had any idea that was happening until the last minute or so.

2. if he had given the order to abandon ship earlier, there is a chance it wouldn't have even gone down -- at that point, the inspection plate should have been above sea level.

3. maybe a captain will think twice about taking SNORKELERS out in rough seas...

Glad they got the boat up. Hope there was no damage to the dive site. Looking forward to being there again.

kidspot:
Hey Al, are you teaching any classes while over here?
Actually yeah I am. I have checkouts for open water for two and a couple of specialties to do. I just love writing off these trips ya know :)

I heard friday they closed the crater to everyone so it appears that, ummm, everyone is probably a bit pissed at the MDS these days :)

Back
Top Bottom