Maui Dive Shop boat sink[ing]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The video sure shows everything, thanks for sharing! She sure doesn't look any worse for the sinking, and quite pristine sitting upright on the bottom like that. If she didn't bounce around upon sinking, she might have done very minimal damage to the reef, but nobody will know for sure until she's brought up.

Guess we can check out the reef for ourselves when we're there in December. :wink:

So unless a diver has 500 logged dives they aren't worth talking to?

:shakehead

At any rate that's the best trim I've seen on a mds boat in a long time, perfect parking spot for it :D

the reef is fine....a bit beat up but no big deal. Figured the shop wouldn't want me to be toooo graphic, ya.
aloha & mahalo.

Wow. Great video. It's a crying shame that it couldn't have been towed when it was only partially sunk, though.

I don't know about these things so maybe it just wasn't possible.

Shaka Doug:
Thanks for sharing the video. Kai Anela looks pretty safe and secure as she sits there. No leaking oils or fluids are evident in the video and it looks like the boat has been stripped clean. Should be fairly easy to get her back topside, cleaned up and running again. I had heard it was much deeper, like 90' or so. There is no good reason I can think of to leave that boat on the bottom, it's gonna see more diving in the near future.

I must say, I'm getting a good laugh out of the banter going on here. As far as you two guys arguing over logged dives goes, if you actually log them like you say you do, there should be no descrepancy as to the actual number of dives you have made. I have heard so many dive pros claim they have made 3,000 or 5,000 or 10,000 dives...Do the math and it gets really unbelievable. You want to brag about your bottom time? Show me your damn logbook, that's all I have to say.

Aloha Shaka Doug,

I have seen you around but never had the chance to meet. small island, sure we will sometime.

anyways, i had to make the video revealing but not too revealing if you know what I mean. just wanted to share the experience without hurting anybody more than I have to, ya.

about that exchange with that guy. ho brah, he got me all riled up. canadians get me like that. anyways enough of that.

all my dives have been video logged, stop my dive log at 33 dives.

I agree on how people exagerate their dive experience. I experience it everyday on the boats. I am pretty on it as far as my estimation, but it is an estimate and I am probably off by +/- a couple hundred.,,,,:):)

anyways. nothing but love & aloha.

a hui hou.

Shaka Doug:
I must say, I'm getting a good laugh out of the banter going on here. As far as you two guys arguing over logged dives goes, if you actually log them like you say you do, there should be no descrepancy as to the actual number of dives you have made. I have heard so many dive pros claim they have made 3,000 or 5,000 or 10,000 dives...Do the math and it gets really unbelievable. You want to brag about your bottom time? Show me your damn logbook, that's all I have to say.

Doug -- my thoughts exactly. I make no qualms about the fact that I just logged dive #85 today, with a cumulative bottom time now of approximately 61 and a half hours. I'll show you my log book if you want to see it. :)

MAUI DIVER:
about that exchange with that guy. ho brah, he got me all riled up. canadians get me like that. anyways enough of that.

You know Maui, you probably have a lot to share here. With that many dives on one of my favorite places on earth I'm sure you know your way around. But I have a problem with anyone who will slam an entire nationality. Your opinion will get lost on me because I for one will discount a lot of what you say based on that kind of rationalization. Just one haole's opinion.

look....I am an honorable guy with a lot of passion & appreciation for life.
I live my life to the fullest every day. I give of myself to hopefully better someone's life in some small way. I also call it like I see it and with my experience in this industry and out on the ocean for so long, it's just whats been consistent. I laugh at it and still try to kill it with kindness. But eventually, I reach a point where I want to find the truth about people. So, I call them on it. This was the first time I did this and was curious to find out why this consistency exists. It continues as I will to hopefully find out, WHY. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I am definitely not the only one to think this way. So many people that work out here and come in contact with these types of people are in agreement. Regardless of what other people say, I notice it.
I don't judge people, I always treat them with respect but sometimes, enough is enough. I know it all barrels down to how you were raised and certain countries run differently than others but the people that come from bad situations usually realize it & better them selves. But when they don't recognize it and it affects others, then I get riled up. This is America and while you visit, you must respect and follow our traditions and ways of life, not yours. Aloha & Mahalo. MAUI DIVER

This is America and while you visit, you must respect and follow our traditions and ways of life, not yours.

And you know what? For the most part, we do.

It is interesting that you say this -- worldwide, Canadians are so much more highly respected in terms of adapting to other cultures that *AMERICANS* try to masquerade as us, putting covers over their passports to make them look like ours, and by putting our flag on their luggage.

I'm sure you'll find that people from Canada are wiser with our money -- if we fork over $100, we expect to get something for that. It really doesn't matter how that company deals with paying its staff -- the bottom line is that they're getting at least minimum wage. If they are providing a service, and provide it well, we tip to show our gratitude (funny how gratuity and gratitude look an aweful lot alike). If your culture mandates that we pay extra for a poor service, then you're going to find that we won't even bother paying for that service -- we'll go elsewhere.

BTW: you might want to get used to having Canadians around... with the way the US dollar and economy is going, you're likely to see far more of us coming to visit than you are US mainlanders!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom