Maui Monthly - October 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As conditions look "stellar" (according to my lds owner "Arty") it would appear that we are definitely on for Maliko bay tomorrow morning - I will most likely get there early as Adobo, a friend and I are going to do a short "weight check" dive about 7-7:30 and check out the lay of the land. If everyone else arrives 8:30-9am we can plan on the group hitting the water a bit after that.

Aloha, Tim

Hey Al,

Maliko turned out to be "ok" but the west side (Lahaina in particular) was stellar. Vis at Maliko was 40ft at best once you got past the mouth of the bay, and the one group had a depth of 65 ft (adobo and I stayed above 50ft as we were planning multiple dives later that day) - very interesting terrain too. We had 5 show up and all of us gave KrisB a hard time since he picked the site and then skipped out on us :wink: (ok - he got called into work last minute and had a legitimate excuse ... but we still gave him a hard time lol)

Adobo and I moved on over to Lahaina and dove Airport, then on Sunday we dove Mala warf - turned out to be the best conditions I'd ever seen there, and we were told they had degraded since the day before - so we "only" had 60-80ft vis :( how sad ... it was so nice that Adobo looks at me and says "mind if we do all our dives tomorrow (Monday) here? I liked the idea, so we did 3 dives there yesterday by lunch time. All three were over 70 minutes long and we got out of the water at 1:10pm - I had to get ready for work, or we might have done 3 more :wink: conditions did get noticably worse over the 4 dives and it was down to it's "normal" 30 ft vis by the last dive. So 7 dives in 3 days and a good turn out for the monthly dive made for a VERY nice weekend :D

I think when you visit we'll have to try some new spots - how bout McGreggor point? I hear it's a really nice dive if conditions allow...

cya soon Al.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. heres the end of mala (where the gravemarker is at) on our second day of diving there - vis was about 40-50ft at the time.
mala.jpg

Oh, I'm so jealous . . . Water that clear at my favorite Maui dive site! At least Ted had a great experience. Did you guys have fun diving together?

TSandM:
Oh, I'm so jealous . . . Water that clear at my favorite Maui dive site! At least Ted had a great experience. Did you guys have fun diving together?

Hey Lynne,

I had a blast diving with him - we did drills on every dive ... lots of them! :D I told him you would be upset if I didn't get him over to Mala - after 4 dives there in 2 days I think he knows why it's your favorite shore spot over here. I told him about you and Peter (mostly true :wink: ) and he's looking forward to diving/meeting you both when he gets home - you'll have a great time.

We also took lots of video footage of each other doing drills and then eval'd them on the beach between dives - He's got better bouyancy control than I do by far - and fewer dives too ... So it was a good opportunity for me, and I think he enjoyed it as well.

The only downside was ... I dropped my lighthead ... and yes ... the bulb did break :'(

Aloha, Tim

The only downside was ... I dropped my lighthead ... and yes ... the bulb did break :'(

Ouch!!! So sorry.

Yes, I'm looking forward to meeting Ted and the whole 5thD-X bunch in just a couple of days!

McGreagor can be a fun site, let's see how the waves look the day before but you know me, if it's wet, I'm up for it.

I didn't dive Mala once our last trip. I'm gonna have to get out of my normal routine and do more different sites.

OK, time to start packing, my gear has dried out and it's ready to load!!

Hey Al,

Since there are no mangos this year I figured I'd at least give you a mango tree picture ... here are the 5 left on our property now :wink:

(pardon the "red tone" - I forgot to turn it off the manual white balance setting from yesterday's dive lol)

mango.jpg

gorgeous looking barren trees Tim.

It sucks that you'll have to go shopping to provide me with mangos this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom