Maui’s reefs dwindling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This Maui News article may be worh reading, especially if you are considering Maui as a dive destination. I have lived on Maui for the past 14 years and have noticed a significant reduction in the reef fish, more so in the last 5.
STORY LINK

Article saved for future reference

HARRY EAGAR of The Maui News:
Maui’s reefs dwindling

WAILUKU – The County Council heard an alarming presentation about the decline of Maui’s reefs Monday. It was so alarming that Council Member Danny Mateo demanded that a state official close down injection wells used to dispose of treated wastewater near the shoreline.

Wells that are, for the most part, owned by the county.

Council Member Michelle Anderson, chairwoman of the Water Resources Committee, said: "We don’t need to wait for the state – for Big Daddy – to solve it for us."

However, some of the fixes could be very expensive.

The committee heard briefings on two reports that were published earlier this year, on rampant algae growth around Maui and on evidence suggesting links between algae and injection wells. The presentation showed how the two studies reinforce each other.

The committee also got a briefing on what the Department of Environmental Management already is doing to reduce the need for pumping treated sewage effluent into injection wells.

Steve Parabicoli, the coordinator for the county’s Water Reuse Program, told the council that more could be done but probably not from resources available within the department’s budget. "We need outside help," he said.

As an example of what could be done, the Lahaina Wastewater Reclamation Facility has "R1" treated effluent available, and there is a county ordinance requiring businesses to use it – if the county brings a transmission line within 100 feet of their property. And therein lies the rub: getting treated sewage water close enough for private use.

Parabicoli estimated the cost of a "good core" for a West Maui reclaimed water system at around $40 million. Somewhat less coverage might be had for $25 million to $30 million.

You could hear committee members suck in their breaths in the Council Chambers.

On the other hand, an estimate of total economic losses – due to damaged reefs, loss of fish and the seaweed smell that drives down the rental prices of beach properties – is as much as $20 million a year.

The Water Resources Committee reacted more to the threat to reefs than to the opportunity to reclaim water.

Mateo asked Dan Polhemus, administrator of the Division of Aquatic Resources: "Why doesn’t (the state Board of Land and Natural Resources) take a firm stand and tell the counties, like ours, you cannot have these wells near the ocean?"

Polhemus said it is only in the last year or so that studies have linked injection wells to algae on reefs, and even now the proof is not complete.

"We want to make sure we are drawing the right conclusions from the right data," he said. "We don’t want to be premature."

Also, "we don’t do water quality," he said.

Regulation of that is in the hands of the state Department of Health.

If farm runoff also were implicated, then the state Department of Agriculture also might have a role.

"It might take something multidepartmental," he said.

Mateo had heard enough. The coral coverage studies now go back about 12 years. "I cannot wait another 12 years," he said. "BLNR had better shift gears and start protecting our valuable resources."

He advised Polhemus to "take the risk. Being nice about it is not cutting it." Mateo raised his voice: "BLNR, do your job."

That was when Anderson observed that the county could restrain itself from using injection wells if it wanted to.

I've also heard that fish collectors for the aquarium trade are making a huge impact on the numbers of fish. I wish Hawaii would ban fish collection.

Don't be too quick to blame fish collectors for everything. Undoubtedly they've had some effect, along with just about everything else.

Kona banned fish collecting off about 34% of it's coastline back in late '99/ early '00, and the recent studies show fish populations growing quite nicely. Unfortunately the studies have only been going on since about '97/'98 or so, so you can't necessarily pin anything down and put blame on any one individual group.

friscuba:
Don't be too quick to blame fish collectors for everything. Undoubtedly they've had some effect, along with just about everything else.

Kona banned fish collecting off about 34% of it's coastline back in late '99/ early '00, and the recent studies show fish populations growing quite nicely. Unfortunately the studies have only been going on since about '97/'98 or so, so you can't necessarily pin anything down and put blame on any one individual group.

Yes, it's true we cannot blame fish collection or any one specific cause for the dwindling reefs as I am sure there are many causes. However, commercial aquarium fish collection accounts for approximately one million fish per year taken from the State's reefs with the Yellow Tang at the top of the list. IMHO the mortality rate is near 100% at the consumer level.

Hawaii was the last state to ban near shore net fishing with little or no enforcement as with all its marine laws. Net fishing has no doubt depleted reef fish, not only for the food fish but also the collateral damage fish.

Like everything else in America things get addressed when they are in the crisis management stage, maybe?

Friends from Maui all tell me that Kihei was very different back in the 50's and 60's. They blame runoff from the plantations and development. I remember that the Kihei of the 70's was comparable to Olowalu today. Then came the huge algae blooms in the 80's and 90's. My college roommate was the state aquatic biologist on Maui back then.

Maui is in a crisis of over development, I am sure that many areas in the world are also. Maui is considered one of the most scenic and desirable places to live, just like Southern California was @ 25-30 years ago. I remember all the beautiful fruit orchards and small ranches in Orange County being bulldozed and covered in concrete, Maui is headed in the same direction and soon will be an eyesore once the greed has ruined it all.

Just out of curiosity, how much fish collection actually occurs off Maui? Back in my aqurium days, Kona was known as the spot for fish collection in Hawaii. Several years back a buddy of mine at one of the Maui dive ops said aquarium collection was pretty much a non-issue off Maui, that every now and then there'd be a startup company, but nothing really ever took hold - granted that was probably 7 years ago.

I did a google search and couldn't come up with much info on fish collecting in Hawaii outside of Kona. I know Kona's got 50 some odd permits out and Oahu has it's share... just curous how much collection's actually being done over there.

friscuba:
Just out of curiosity, how much fish collection actually occurs off Maui? Back in my aqurium days, Kona was known as the spot for fish collection in Hawaii. Several years back a buddy of mine at one of the Maui dive ops said aquarium collection was pretty much a non-issue off Maui, that every now and then there'd be a startup company, but nothing really ever took hold - granted that was probably 7 years ago.

I did a google search and couldn't come up with much info on fish collecting in Hawaii outside of Kona. I know Kona's got 50 some odd permits out and Oahu has it's share... just curous how much collection's actually being done over there.

For one the Maui Ocean Center is a commercial aquarium operation and has a permit to collect just about anything they want. One can only guess how many fish they collect and lose. DLNR (Dept. of Land and Natural Resources) is in charge of issuing fish aquarium collection permits. You can ask them for figures on collection and they will give you a breakdown by County but they will not give you any individuals figures such as the Maui Ocean Center. DLNR states that is confidential information. Imagine that, the taking of resources from the States (the peoples) waters is confidential!

I assume MOC collects for themselves and other public aquariums, not a big market compared to the private aquarium pet market. You might be surprised to find that most public aquariums think of their occupants in terms of years. I remember reading an article back around 1982 about the public aquarium in Nancy, France (which had a reputation for keeping their fish a long time). They had numerous fish in the 13-18 year range at the time of the article and said the typical lifespan in the aquarium was in the 9-11 year range and up.

Yellow tangs are more problematic in that they browse constantly and need lots of algae in their diet. I saw a lot of really nasty yellow tangs at Marine world in Oahu back in the 80's... lots of lateral line erosion, it was sad. That said, I've known people who've kept them for years... that DM I knew in Maui had one for years in Oregon he'd named "As#ole fish" because it kept beating on his other fish. Here's a post on another board invoving longevity...http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=64955

It would be interesting to see how much collection actually goes on in Maui, as opposed to the other islands. Anyway, in Kona they've seen improvements in fish stocks since the creation of FRAs (fish replenishment areas) and everyone's relatively satisfied these days with the program they've set up.

Back
Top Bottom