Maui Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, need to bump this thead to the top...We decided to supplement the scuba with some self guided shore dives...What are the top 5-10 easy access shore dives? Is there a good website to read up on? The site I found wasn't much good...ThanksMark

easy access:
Makena Landing, Wailea Beach, Polo Beach or Ulua Beach near you. Five Graves near Makena is a more difficult entry.

Mala Pier in Lahaina is about the best but the legal entry (left side) is rough. The right side entry is illegal. Sheraton Black Rock or Old Airport Beach to the north in Kaanapali. Far north - Kapalua Bay.

People dive the Kamaole's also but I just find dealing with all the beachgoers (and lack of parking) tiring. It'll be hard to find parking at the Wailea sites after about 9AM also. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands has some details.

You'll need to rent/tow a flag - at least till you can tie it off to some non-living thing near where you're diving. I've seen the DLNR agents at Wailea checking divers, also I've heard they're often at Makena and Mala.

Thanks Steve! So are there any shore dives where there's constantly a divers down flag flying and you wouldn't have to take one? Just curious...

Not that I know of. The one place you might want it is the other side of Mala Pier since it's an active boat channel. And I've been farther out at Wailea Beach and watched a bigger catamaran go over about 20' above - never heard it coming. None of the shore dives off Maui are particularly deep. And there's jetskis. Makena Landing is also a boat ramp and there's kayakers.

I don't usually tow a flag. ymmv...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom