"Mauser" is German for "Crap my shoulder hurts"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mauser is a beautiful weapon and is very accurate. Have fun.

Now if you want something sweet, and are not concerned about the military authenticity of the rifle, replace the military trigger with either a Timney or Canjar set trigger.

the K

Well since you can't handle an 8mm, should I send back the custom built, H&H .460 Rigby Magnum that I had made for your birthday???? :D

The Kraken:
Well since you can't handle an 8mm, should I send back the custom built, H&H .460 Rigby Magnum that I had made for your birthday???? :D

Sounds good. Hate to waste it so just pack that up and send it on to me. My birthday is this month you know. :wink:

I always felt the '03 springfield kicked a bit harder than a 98K in 8mm mauser. They are wonderful rifels however and are very easy to carry with excellent balance and light weight compared to a Garand. Like many military stocks of the period, the stock design is also quite good at minimizing the damage from the recoil.

Both are basically the height of bolt action rifle design (with the Springfield having stolen much from the 98 mauser design) and probably 1/4 of the bolt rifles made in the 20th century were mauser actions or based on mauser actions.

With regard to recoil, it feels bad with a 30-06 '03 Springfield or a 8mm mauser as the rifel is faily light and the cartridge is fairly high velocity. So a lot of energy gets dumped on the shooter in a relatiovely short period of time with little of the energy being dumped on the shooter.

In contrast with a lower velocity cartridge like the 45-70, you get a large, but much slower, push from the rifle and it does not feel as sharp.

In either case you definitely want to hold on the to rifle tightly and pull it into your shoulder so that it does not have a chance to get a run at you.

H2Andy:
ok... well... over the weekend, ended up at a gun show here in town.

lo and behold, i spy this beautiful, orginal German Mauser rifle (K98k).

i look at the rifling, and it's beautiful .... almost mint ...

made in 1937, at the Berlin plant ... was a Russian capture, but it
looks like the stock and the barrel/receiver stayed together

(the buttplate, floorplate, sling ring, H-ring, and bolt were all
from different rifles. the bolt was rebuilt from at least two,
possibly three rifles).

Flinchie23.jpg

well, being a sucker, of course i bought it after i somehow
managed to talk the seller down $100 bucks to a reasonable
$300

went home, cleaned it. next morning, to the range.

can you say "ouch?"

this 8mm (7.92x57mm) rifle weighs less than nine pounds.

and it frigging kicks ... ow... how did those guys do it, firing that
thing all day?

anyway, after 30 rounds, the thing was amazing... i was shooting
three-inch patterns from 100 yards, with surplus ammo.
believe me, i SUCK at shooting. that's just how sweet this rifle is.

eyebrow

Fear of being killed probably kept them firing. Besides, with practice it becomes tolerable.

The worst felt recoil I ever experienced was a box of 3" magnum 12 gauge fired from a Mossberg 500 series. 1st runner up was a .375 JDJ Contender.

PaulChristenson:
Mitchell's Mausers as seen on The History Channel

Mitchell's sells Yugoslavian M48's

this was an actual German K98k, hence my excitement eyebrow

also, you can't really look at the bore of the rifle on-line, or any other
aspect of the rifle... so... you never really know what you get.

DA Aquamaster:
In either case you definitely want to hold on the to rifle tightly and pull it into your shoulder so that it does not have a chance to get a run at you.

right true that... i can't imagine letting that thing lose against my shoulder
before firing

DA Aquamaster:

I'm a shotgun guy myself, and every time my shoulder hurts it is because I have let my elbow swing out, or not held the stock close to my shoulder.

Sounds like you got a fun toy though.

Mark Vlahos

justleesa:
Mauser is acutally german for what birds go thru when they change feathers....lol

so Mauser is German for "being shot at with an 8mm bullet?"

:wink:

H2Andy:
so Mauser is German for "being shot at with an 8mm bullet?"

:wink:

OK, thinking creativly...:D...Mauser means "The kick of this gun will knock your feathers off."

How's that? eyebrow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom