max depth allowed.??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom,

Actually, depth standards for OW training vary slightly between agencies. PADI's max depth is 40' for dives 1 & 2 and 60' for dives 3 & 4. NAUI & YMCA have a flat 60' max for all OW training dives. PADI also limits dives 3 & 4 tio 40' for students aged 10 & 11. Neither NAUI nor YMCA allow students younger than 12.

Also remember that on a wall dive the bottom is probably a long way down, which adds a major risk factor in case of BC failure or the like. Not sure where you were trained, but in our quarry it was very easy to tell when you got deep as it got really cold and dark. In the nice warm caribbean the vis and temp are so great it is easy to go deeper than planned. Add in the possible effects of narcosis....

If you absolutely end up on the wall, maybe put some die hard limits of going no deeper than 30-40 feet or so, and make sure you have a like minded buddy who is not going to abandon you.

Tommy

to be making deep dives in Canada
in December. Go south, enjoy the shallow
reefs and next summer do an advanced
class with your instructor. The first time
to 100' should be with someone you trust
and who can handle emergencies. Not on
a dive boat with strangers.
Canada is a great place for deep ship
wreck dives! The good stuff starts at
80'.:)

and this is NOT shared by many people, is that you should never accept a "trust me" from anyone.

Nor should you EVER dive beyond your PERSONAL comfort level and limits. Ever. That's how people get hurt - or killed.

Its your butt down there. If you screw up at 100', the consequences of doing so are vastly more serious than doing so at 20'. From 20' you can easily swim to the surface. At 100' you might make it - on a good day. If you don't....

With that said, I was certified in a part of the country where the "usual stuff" is in the 80-100' range. My first dive after certification was to 70'. By the time I got five more under my belt I was pushing the triple-digit barrier. But I was trained where dives are done from a boat (and frequently with some wave action to make it "more fun" on the surface), they're "serious" in terms of their depth (no 20' sightseeing missions around here) and visability is highly variable - anything from 60'+ down to 10'-. Water temps range from the mid 80s in the summer to mid 50s in the winter (like now; my last immersion, last weekend, had water temps in the low 60s and out came the drysuit!)

Most of my dives are right around the 100' mark, plus or minus 20. Its just the nature of the sites I want to dive around here, and what I am doing down there (spearfishing most of the time)

Air goes faster at 100'. Light is less brilliant, and colors are washed out. You probably can't see the surface (you might be able to to in the Carribbean, but not around here.) You're VERY aware of where you are, and what you're doing :)

Don't go beyond your comfort level, and remember that you ALWAYS have the option AND THE RESPONSIBILITY to call any dive if you are uncomfortable - FOR ANY REASON. Any operator or dive partner who won't respect that is one you don't want to be in the water with. Until and unless you're comfortable with diving solo, absolute respect for the right of any party in a buddy group to call a dive must be unquestioned.

I dive off my own boat so I don't have to deal with DMs. But among those who I dive with, the ONE understood rule that anyone who I will dive with MUST agree to is that EITHER buddy can call the dive at ANY time and for ANY reason - or no reason at all. If either partner signals "UP", that's it - the dive is over. If you want to argue with me then you are free to do so when we get back on the boat. Until then I expect you to respect my decision, and I will respect yours if you call the dive as well. We can debate and discuss the rest of the dive plan and profile, but that rule is one that I insist on.

Violate that rule JUST ONCE and I'll never dive with you again.

Walter once bubbled...
Tom,

Actually, depth standards for OW training vary slightly between agencies. PADI's max depth is 40' for dives 1 & 2 and 60' for dives 3 & 4. NAUI & YMCA have a flat 60' max for all OW training dives. PADI also limits dives 3 & 4 tio 40' for students aged 10 & 11. Neither NAUI nor YMCA allow students younger than 12.

Isn't that what I said, 60' max?

You actually said, "PADI standards are the same for depth in o/w training, 60 max."

They are close, but not the same. PADI has that 40' limit as well.

Walter once bubbled...
You actually said, "PADI standards are the same for depth in o/w training, 60 max."

They are close, but not the same. PADI has that 40' limit as well.

Picky picky! :)

Walter once bubbled...
"Picky picky!"

I thought you already knew that about me.

Yea, I suppose I did! :)

Tom

And not that I want to beat a dead horse, but only dive to a level you are comfortable diving at, not what the rest of the group is comfortable at.

As for your training, you might want to look into booking some "training" dives with a DM or instructor to get yourself feeling comfortable below 60 ft., or lok into the deep dive specialty (if you want to start doing deep diving) However, do this with someone you trust, someone who isn't going to push your comfort level, and who has the knowledge to help you if there's a problem.

There is no "policing" for the suggested limit of 60ft. The most important thing is you and your wife's safety. Do not jepordize that....feel free to abort a dive or not even make the dive if you are uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom