Max depth for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo:
That $472 23 years ago is just about $1000 today. At typical prices that might "buy" you OW+AOW+2-3 specialties today. That's 15-20 open water dives.

This is true. It is also more than most people are willing to initially invest for a recreational hobby. Which is one reason it is taught the way it is today.

I just finished a Nitrox class and will be working on my Master Diver rating over the next two years. I plan on taking Deep Diving, Night Diving, Cavern Diving, and Wreck Diving as my other specialites. I'll be plowing old ground for the Night and Deep diving but the equipment and techniques have changed some over the past 20 years so I think it is worth the effort.

ScubaKimmie:
You love to play word games don't you. That's great, should keep you warm at night.

Legal as in within standards of the RSTC which most professionals are familiar with.

No, I'm not playing with words at all. To use term "legal" tends to imply there are laws that govern, in this case that is not so. The dive industry is self regulating in most parts of the world.

There are ratified standards in many cases (but not always) that determine "best practices", RTSC is one venue that is involved (but yet not all agencies belong, like the second largest cert. agency in the world).

I'm familar as a professional with the RTSC (however feel they set the bar too low)and most on here know my professional qualifications and experience. What are your professional Scuba.Dive industry qualifications? It would help to determine where your view comes from.

I don't worry about staying warm at night, just do what right during the day and I never have to give it any thought....

vondo:
That $472 23 years ago is just about $1000 today. At typical prices that might "buy" you OW+AOW+2-3 specialties today. That's 15-20 open water dives.

does anyone disagree that for whatever reasons (mostly monetary) the single
dive class of the 60's and 70's was split up into three separate classes:

OW
AOW
Rescue

thus, if you want to be a "certified" diver to the level of the 60's and 70's, you
really need to take these three classes?

in other words, divers going out there with an OW cert, are not certified divers
by the standards of the single class of the 60's and 70's

H2Andy:
does anyone disagree that for whatever reasons (mostly monetary) the single
dive class of the 60's and 70's was split up into three separate classes:

OW
AOW
Rescue

thus, if you want to be a "certified" diver to the level of the 60's and 70's, you
really need to take these three classes?

in other words, divers going out there with an OW cert, are not certified divers
by the standards of the single class of the 60's and 70's

Agree mostly.

Diver Dennis:
Thanks Paul. ScubaKimmie, the DAN chart says the standard plan only covers PLANNED depth to 130'. I'm not sure what that actually means.

From speaking to DAN, they only cover planned depths to 130 METERS. Any deeper, and the dive plan needs to be sent to DAN, the nearest Chamber and the rescue services prior to the dive taking place.

This is just a matter of risk assessment, to make sure divers spend some time thinking about their dive before they do it, I expect. Having said that - If you do a dive deeper than 130 meters without notifying the chamber/planning the dive VERY carefully, chances are it's not really a problem, coz it's gonna be a one way trip.

E:)

DAN Europe and DAN Americas has different Insurance policies and wording. People need to check with the office they get their insurance thru.

Nemrod:
This is true, my NAUI card for the mid 60s says "Scuba Diver"
NAUI certification cards for entry-level training still say "Scuba Diver".

Nemrod:
it don't mention open water or any of that, the courses were long and often challenging and covered everything that is now split up into boutique courses by PadI.
As you said earlier ... PADI doesn't control the diving universe. I have a drawer full of certification cards ... representing six different agencies ... and none of them are from PADI. I did take an equipment maintenance workshop once that was taught by a PADI instructor, but I opted not to get a C-card.

Nemrod:
Many divers, if not most, do not feel obligated to abide by some other persons standards which are really quite arbitrary and a product of our lawyer induced "airbag world."
Actually, almost all standards have their logic ... and are anything but arbitrary. However, it's important to understand that diving is very circumstantial ... and the "correct" decision for any given person will depend on a number of things that simply won't be factored into the standard.

Understanding the logic behind the standards helps people make informed decisions ... which leads to ...

Nemrod:
Your the person calling your shots, don't do things your not confident of, that is just common sense, good luck to you.
Common sense is better employed when it is augmented by knowledge. When people understand the reasoning behind what they were taught in their scuba training, they will invariably make better decisions.

That is the value of asking questions such as the one posed by the originator of this thread ... depending, of course, on the quality of the responses given.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diver Dennis:
Thanks for the clarification espenskogen but I mean that the Standard plan only covers to 130' or 40m...

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

Possibly in the US. Under Dan Europe, the standard plan covers Compressed Air/Nitrox diving to a depth of 50 meters, and trimix/heliox diving to a depth of 130 meters.

Diveral-

It's a 20 foot Wellcraft. :)

Well last night hubby and I went to practice in the pool at our LDS. This was the first time I have used SCUBA in a pool. Very interesting. No fish down there!

Anyway - we practiced some skills and buoyancy and got comfortable with the equipment. I am ready to go now!

Speaking of buoyancy, I went in the water with 11 pounds. Then took 4 off. Still could not do the neutral buoyancy thing. I finally just took the whole belt off and then got it. Wow. I know I will need more weight in salt water, but certainly not 14 pounds! I think I have been WAY overweighted in the past and that might be why I had trouble keeping my legs from dragging. When we get down to Roatan, we will do some practice shore dives to get that weight thing right.

Back
Top Bottom