Max safe pressure for HP steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudboy55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the maximum safe fill pressure for a 3400 psi tank? I have recently had them filled (not by choice) to over 3700 psi. Is this safe?

cloudboy55

You'll blow the disc's before you ever harm that tank. You should see what they do to them when their hydro'd!

I have a pair of hp100's that are always filled between 4000-4200 psi, at a shop where all they do is fill tanks.

The burst disk in HP tanks is usually set to blow around 4500-4800 IIRC,

The other side; cylinders are designed to withstand cycles to max working pressure, applying pressures above max working pressure = less cycles in the life of the cylinder...at least that's the theory as I understand it.

cloudboy55:
What is the maximum safe fill pressure for a 3400 psi tank? I have recently had them filled (not by choice) to over 3700 psi. Is this safe?

cloudboy55
When I have my PST HP tanks filled I ask that they be filled to 4200 psi. I have found that no matter how slow the fill when they cool down I will have between 3500 -3700.

If they just fill to 3500 it will be a short fill at around 3000. POn a 100 c.f. tank the extra 500 psi will get you from 85 cu. ft. to 100 cu. ft.

Kepp in mind, not all burst disks are installed properly. My lp tanks have 5000 psi disks, so best to actually check the rating.

I dive double HP 120s and, with the shop I use, routinely get 4000psi+ fills (cold). I will say that I dive them within a day or so and keep them in a cool garage:D

aabond:
I have a pair of hp100's that are always filled between 4000-4200 psi, at a shop where all they do is fill tanks.

Bet I know where you are getting your tanks filled.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom