May 20 Solar Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't guess this will have much to do with diving, I don't think you'd notice much underwater at the time except for an earlier sunset, but you might want to think about where you will be that Sunday afternoon - and get viewing shades. I ordered a couple of dozen some months ago, got them pretty well doled out, but as the time approaches may have to order again.

This starts just east of Vietnam, crosses the Pacific and lands near Crescent City CA south of the OR border at 5:10pm locally, then heads by Reno and thru Albuquerque for Lubbock TX where it starts 21 minutes later at 7:31pm locally. Maximums start about an hour after the start of the partial phase and last a little over 4 minutes depending on where you are. The last time we had one of these thru here, I organized a campout part near Carlsbad Caverns thinking it'd be more likely to have clear weather - but that failed as we were overcast and Lubbock had a clear view. :mad: This time I will make my final viewing choice of here or somewhere in NM that morning, but hope for clear skies here that day. :crafty:

No, this is not called a Total Eclipse of the sun, which happens when the moon is furthest away from the earth, as the moon will be at the closest at that time, so it will be an Annular Eclipse - with almost all of the sun blocked by the moon in the middle, circled by a ring of fire. It should be pretty special, the best one in the US until 2017...!

See full info at Solar Eclipse over the USA - NASA Science

See time table at
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHtables/OH2012-Tab03.pdf
The Universal times are in 24 hour format. Subtract 5 hours from the posted times for CDT, 6 for MDT, 7 for PDT.

You must have proper viewing glasses, and a lot of suggestions you may hear are dangerous - like smoked glass, black film negative, mylar balloon - all bad! The only safe way to look is thru a #14 welder's filter glass, or thru special glasses made for the occasion which are very cheap. Not just any welder's helmet or filter will do; it has to be #14 for safety and my local supplier doesn't go that high - and you have to be careful to look only thru the glass. I like the cheap glasses better...

If you want a large number, get 25 or more for less than $1 each at
Eclipse Glasses for Annular Solar Eclipse 2012
If you just want one pair, you can send $1 and a SASE - see Free 3D Glasses - Get a Free pair of 3d glasses from Rainbow Symphony Inc.

Hey DandyDon, thanks for the heads up.

A buddy of mine from Chicago is flying in to ABQ for the eclipse, I will have to order some special glasses to view it.

Thanks for the useful links as well, T
I suspect there will be a lot of travel that weekend. Hope the weather is clear. Wonder if they will do balloon flights at sundown? I'm looking at a high ridge north of Clovis as a backup viewing site if the weather here is questionable, but it'll just depend on where clear skies are expected that day.

What are to odds of cloudy sky 'round these parts?

Eclipse is around 7pm? Should look extra cool low on the horizon.
Here it comes...!

Clouds will be the big challenge of course. My local forecast is for fog Sunday morning, :eek: clouds to burn off by noon, then cloudy at 4pm, :( but clear at 7pm. In other words it could go either way, subject to change.

I was thinking of driving over west of Clovis then north onto the hill, but don't know that would help - and there are all those bird & bat killing wind turbines. I think I'll take my chances here or near Lubbock. I had thought about taping part of solar viewer glasses to my camera, but think I'll skip that and just shoot the family viewing - maybe a sundown shot if it's subdued enough.

We did finally get some local news about it, and maybe there is more in the papers that I haven't read. The Lubbock/Tech Astronomy Club is having a viewing party as is a winery - both selling viewing glasses. Cap Rock Winery - Solar Eclipse Viewing One mentioned BYO blankets, but I think lawn chairs are better for horizon viewing.

And if this one gets blocked, there is another one in Nebraska in a few years.... :(

Albuquerque is the center of the best viewing, and it will be within 2 hours of sunset. TONS of viewing parties are going on all over town, for those coming!!! Several of the viewing parties are giving away the free glasses while supplies last. My hiking group is even doing some viewing parties up on the mountain.

I woke up this morning after two loud, windy nights tent camping to 100% overcast, but the skies are breaking clear. May get to use my viewing glasses after all. Less than 90 minutes until start...!!

It started earlier in Asia. This is reportedly from Tokyo...

385615_292673080822383_100002390802732_632075_441682848_n.jpg

Last edited:
That was fun. Caught up to my brother and his wife at my nephew's, had enough solar viewers for us all, and we had a clear sky. My niece even fed me supper while I watched, altho she should have seen more instead of cooking. When it got to annular phase, it then got too dark for the viewers - behind a cloud, so we watched it with naked eyes as it set covered...!

My great nephew enjoyed it too...!

Late to the party. Some shots from just east of Albuquerque in the mountains. Two of solar eclipse, then the lunar eclipse and Venus transit later in the week.
pastial eclipse.jpegeclipse.jpegmoon.jpgvenus.jpg

Attachments

• sun.jpg
    sun.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 59
Super nice pic O-puppy! :thumb:

We used our solar viewers on the transit and had a clear view of the sun, but my eyes are too old. :sad:

I'm going to try to get to Nebraska for the next total eclipse in the US in a few years. NASA's eclipse site in down now, but I think in 2017.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom