Mayaguana trip report, Nekton Rorqual 3/20-3/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diadema or long-spinned sea urchins died off in 1983, but are coming back now, at least on shallower reefs. The algae is microdycton marinum or network algae. It only grows in areas where there is no polution in the water like the southern Bahamas where the water flows in directly from the Atlantic. In areas where you have polution you get other algaes, that keep the network algae from getting started.

Thanks, with your help I did the search again and found some information
Diadema antillarum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.nacri.org/greylit/DebrotNagelkerken-RecoveryDiademaCuracao-BullMarSci79.pdf
I've seen many during my last trip to Belize, one was spawning during the nightdive. Hope they come back in greater numbers.

hello all= been reading board for a while but never joined until now... in response to divengolf, not sure why 1 generator is a uscg violation...Blackbeards cruises has run since 1979 successfully with only 1 gen on each boat, and up until 2003 or so, was based in the US. A little background of myself- have been naui inst. for 13 yrs- hold 200 tn master lic- got out of dive industry back in 2005- now commercial-tugs/barges... I did work for blackbeards about 10 years ago and can assure you they only had 1 gen on there miami based boats...

Thanks Divengolf for pointing out the importance of the generator to the pumps. You can float without engines, but if you can't float....

Again, it seems strange that Nekton is having such trouble. I don't know what the real numbers are on bookings but it seems like they have many of the elements needed for a successful business. They have the low end of the liveaboard market. Many people recognize them, though some not in a good way. They are in a place close to the US so travel is relatively easy. So they can appeal by saying you can come dive relatively close to cut travel costs and for reasonably low liveaboard costs. Some people on here have been literally dozens of times, which is a testament to the strengths listed above.

Thanks Divengolf for pointing out the importance of the generator to the pumps. You can float without engines, but if you can't float....

Again, it seems strange that Nekton is having such trouble. I don't know what the real numbers are on bookings but it seems like they have many of the elements needed for a successful business. They have the low end of the liveaboard market. Many people recognize them, though some not in a good way. They are in a place close to the US so travel is relatively easy. So they can appeal by saying you can come dive relatively close to cut travel costs and for reasonably low liveaboard costs. Some people on here have been literally dozens of times, which is a testament to the strengths listed above.

Equally important is having a generator to power the fire pumps. To me a fire at sea is the worst case casualty. Flooding/collision is certainly a concern, but a fire trumps all and you must have water pressure to fight any sizable fire and power to remove the water afterward. If you start flooding, you should have time to jump in the life raft. With an out of control fire at night, you may be stuck below decks and unable to get to breathable air. Hence the need for water pressure to knock the fire down quickly. I also expect that the Rorqual has a fire supression system in the engine room and the galley, although I could not find any info on their web site.

Most liveaboards list their operating and safety equipment on their web site. I could not find any such info on Nekton's site. I looked to see if they had an installed backup emergency generator. I'd be very surprised if they did not have one, but the OP did not mention that in his comments. With one generator OOC, I would have expected that the captain would have told the guests about the emergency BU generator to ease their concern. Apparently that was not done. Poor PR.

I agree that Nekton should be able to capitalize on their position in the market. But they don't seem to be able to do so. Not sure why. Obviously a management short coming.

hello all= been reading board for a while but never joined until now... in response to divengolf, not sure why 1 generator is a uscg violation...Blackbeards cruises has run since 1979 successfully with only 1 gen on each boat, and up until 2003 or so, was based in the US. A little background of myself- have been naui inst. for 13 yrs- hold 200 tn master lic- got out of dive industry back in 2005- now commercial-tugs/barges... I did work for blackbeards about 10 years ago and can assure you they only had 1 gen on there miami based boats...

I cannot comment on Blackbeard's situation, but I have been told by three USCG licensed captains that two sources of electrical power are needed for fire pumps, etc. I am not a USCG captain, but as a naval officer with extensive experience driving nuclear subs, I cannot imagine going to sea relying on a single source of electrical power.

The difference also may be that Nekton boats fly the US flag, requiring a different set of rules than Blackbeards, which isn't a US vessel.

I have to agree that only having one generator is scary, particularly with Nekton's reputation of "deferred" or "minimal" maintenance.

We loved our 3 Nekton cruises and would love to go back and do more, particularly back to Cay Sal Bank. However, with all the recent reports in the past year or so, we just can't even consider returning. If John Dixon gets the Pilot back in service completely refurbished, we'll take that as a good sign that the company isn't operating by the skin of their teeth and consider a Pilot cruise. Unfortunately right now I believe the Pilot is sitting in dry dock rusting... :(

I have to agree that only having one generator is scary, particularly with Nekton's reputation of "deferred" or "minimal" maintenance.

Unfortunately right now I believe the Pilot is sitting in dry dock rusting... :(

DiveMaven: Do you have any facts or info to confirm the statement about sitting in dock. I'm not disagreeing, but would like to know the basis for your statement.

Also going to sea on one generator is scary whether it's Nekton or another liveaboard.

I will not comment about another operator. I merely will quote the USCG requirement regarding bilge pumps: 46 CFR 182.520§ 182.520 Bilge pumps.

(a) A vessel must be provided with bilge pumps in accordance with Table 182.520(a). A second power pump is an acceptable alternative to a hand pump if it is supplied by a source of power independent of the first power bilge pump. Individual power pumps used for separate spaces are to be controlled from a central control point and must have a light or other visual means at the control point to indicate operation.

Table 182.520(a) is difficult to reproduce, but it states that a vessel over 65 feet in length must have 2 power bilge pumps.

(b) A portable hand bilge pump must be:

(1) Capable of pumping water, but not necessarily simultaneously, from all watertight compartments; and

(2) Provided with suitable suction hose capable of reaching the bilge of each watertight compartment and discharging overboard.

(c) Each fixed power bilge pump must be self priming. It may be driven off the main engine or other source of power. It must be permanently connected to the bilge manifold and may also be connected to the fire main. If of sufficient capacity, a power bilge pump may also serve as a fire pump.

(d) Where two fixed power bilge pumps are installed, they must be driven by different sources of power. If one pump is driven off the main engine in a single propulsion engine installation, the other must be independently driven. In a twin propulsion engine installation, each pump may be driven off a different propulsion engine.

(e) A submersible electric bilge pump may be used as a power bilge pump required by Table 182.520(a) only on a vessel of not more than 19.8 meters (65 feet) in length carrying not more than 49 passengers, other than a ferry, provided that:

(1) The pump is listed by Underwriters' Laboratories Inc. or another independent laboratory;

(2) The pump is used to dewater not more than one watertight compartment;

(3) The pump is permanently mounted;

(4) The pump is equipped with a strainer that can be readily inspected and cleaned without removal;

(5) The pump discharge line is suitably supported;

(6) The opening in the hull for the pump discharge is placed as high above the waterline as possible;

(7) A positive shutoff valve is installed at the hull penetration; and

(8) The capacity of the electrical system, including wiring, and size and number of batteries, is designed to allow all bilge pumps to be operated simultaneously.

(f) A flexible tube or hose may be used instead of fixed pipe for the discharge line of a submersible electric bilge pump provided the hose or tube does not penetrate any required watertight bulkheads and is:

(1) Of good quality and of substantial construction, suitable for the intended use; and

(2) Highly resistant to salt water, petroleum oil, heat, and vibration.

(g) If a fixed hand pump is used to comply with Table 182.520(a), it must be permanently connected to the bilge system.

(h) On a vessel of not more than 19.8 meters (65 feet) in length, a power driven fire pump required by §181.300 of this chapter may serve as a fixed power bilge pump required by this subpart, provided it has the minimum flow rate required by Table 182.520(a).

(i) On a vessel of more than 19.8 meters (65 feet) in length, a power driven fire pump required by §181.300 of this subchapter may serve as one of the two fixed power bilge pumps required by this subpart, provided:

(1) The bilge and fire pump systems are interconnected;

(2) The dedicated bilge pump is capable of pumping the bilges at the same time the fire/bilge pump charges the firemain; and

(3) Stop valves and check valves are installed in the piping to isolate the systems during simultaneous operation and prevent possible flooding through the bilge system.

(j) A catamaran vessel must be equipped with bilge pumps for each hull, as if each hull is a separate vessel, in accordance with Table 182.520(a), except where:

(1) One dedicated pump is located in each hull;

(2) Each dedicated pump is driven by an independent source of power; and

(3) The bilge system is permanently cross connected between hulls.

[CGD 85–080, 61 FR 986, Jan. 10, 1996; 61 FR 20557, May 7, 1996, as amended by CGD 97–057, 62 FR 51050, Sept. 30, 1997; CGD 85–080, 62 FR 51358, Sept. 30, 1997]

So, it is fine to have one generator as long as the second bilge pump is driven off of a separate power source.

DiveMaven: Do you have any facts or info to confirm the statement about sitting in dock. I'm not disagreeing, but would like to know the basis for your statement.

I don't have any facts, which is why I said "I believe...". Nobody hopes they are wrong more than I.

it is absolutely ok to have one generator as stated- there are many inspected us flagged passenger carrying vessels that have only 1- as i said, blackbeards was us flagged for 22 years with 1 gen--- the different power sources for bilge pumps on most vessels are powered by the gen, and engine driven pumps.-probably repeating what was stated already...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom