Mayaguana trip report, Nekton Rorqual 3/20-3/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that Nekton is not accepting reservations for the Pilot at this time, and they can not say when the Pilot will be back in service. So I guess their website schedule for the Pilot may be incorrect when it states it will be back in service at the end of August. I really miss what diving with Nekton used to be like. :depressed:

DiveMaven: Do you have any facts or info to confirm the statement about sitting in dock. I'm not disagreeing, but would like to know the basis for your statement.

Also going to sea on one generator is scary whether it's Nekton or another liveaboard.

I know that Nekton is not accepting reservations for the Pilot at this time, and they can not say when the Pilot will be back in service. So I guess their website schedule for the Pilot may be incorrect when it states it will be back in service at the end of August. I really miss what diving with Nekton used to be like. :depressed:

ditto

Forgot to mention that a single skiff is a concern as well. Not about the diving but for the emergency need. Obviously, getting in the water is what we do but on a trip there are many times, places and situations where that would be a bad thing. So close to shore yet so far.

I really want to go on the North Bahamas Nekton trip in June but all these reports about the shape of the boat have me worried. I've never been on a liveaboard before so don't know what to expect, but I'd hope they have my safety and comfort at the top of their list.

With those photographic skills, Becca, Indonesia is where you want to go. It's night and day compared to the Caribbean. Go with one of the major boats, you will be well taken care of, it's a beautiful place, you see some interesting culture, the diving is fantastic in the volume of fish and has any critter from outer space you can think of. You fly into Bali and go from there.

I just got back from the Nekton Mayaguana run yesterday. We ran with only one generator all week long... lost a dive or two while we picked up a new generator on the first dive day. They spend all week trying to get it down to the engine room and installed. Because there was only one generator operational, they shut down the nitrox compressor on Tue morning...so I was not able to dive trox. They did allow us to use our nitrox fee as part of the crew tip. I was really surprised to see how the boat has gone downhill from previous trips. It does need a complete re-fit!!!! We also snapped a coral head and broke mooring. If fact, the anchor line still tied to a hugh hunk of coral whizzed between me and my dive buds. My buddy got some great video of it.

Everything said about the Mayaguana reef life or lack there of is on the mark. I was amazed at the lack of of fish... I would not recommend this run to anyone. Nor would I recommend doing the Nekton unless price is really your biggest consideration. The crew was great. The food was fair...only one really bad meal. But the boat is just plain tired!!!! Grime and rust abound. Does anyone really want to trust a vacation to a boat alway on the fringe of breaking down? One of the crew did tell us the pilot is being canned for spare parts....so I don't expect to be seeing it back on the water anytime soon if at all. My next trip will be on the Aggressor.

Jchoby, I have been told by previous crews on the Nekton, that if you apply a refund towards the crew gatuity, they usually never see it. Glad to hear the food improved with the replacement of the cook. Also, it seems that if they continue snapping off coral heads at the current rate (they snapped off 2 week before last), they will destroy a huge amount. They used to brag about their eco-friendly mooring systems. It is a shame how a company can go from the top of the heap, to a heap of steaming sh--! :shakehead:

It seems like Nekton Diving Cruises LLC may have reached critical mass with respect to "going on the cheap" versus loyal return customers. Go to the well too many times (with respect to screwing over the customers, and not reinvesting funds into your operation) and it will come back to bite you. I hope that company sees the light, and puts some money back into their boat/boats. Or I hope they go totaly belly up, and a new operator fills the niche for divers who want a stable dive platform that is comfortable. The Nekton folks like to lament that 9/11/2001 was their downfall, and that they had to cut back to survive. I see plently of other liveaboards that are full to capacity, who have recovered from any downturn from 9/11. I think Nekton overextended themselves when they put the Rorqual in the water, and it has been downhill since that time. Vacationing on a liveaboard is a luxury. It is ok to try to provide that experience at a lower price point BUT your customers will not accept being repeatedly thrown under the bus with respect to quality of the product you are providing. Thanks for reading my rant, boy that feels good to get off my chest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom