Mayan ruins tours from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it would be cheaper to drive and stay. That is the point I am trying to make to my dive buddy/finacial backer!

My preference would be to go to Playa del Carmen for a week, take a few days to dive the cenotes and take the ferry over to Cozumel to dive a day or 2......... then drive to the ruins, visit Coba again, spend the night up by Chichen Itza and visit Ek Balam, too. But this is MY preference. Less diving, more topside culture stuff.

He wants to go to Cozumel for the full week with a day trip over to do the ruins. I am trying to convince him that MY plan is better. (We have been to Cozumel 5 times, yes, I know the reefs are great)

robin:D

I have gone from Cozumel to Chichen-Itza by bus, plane, & by rental car. Most all hotels will have an " Activity Planner " come by at some time during the day, & they are always very helpful. Last time I flew, it was $125, in 2006. Not sure of the price now, but don't forget that you can get group rates, or as we did , join about 10 others at the airport. The " planner " I mentioned, can give you all details & prices by plane, or by bus. Our plane left early a.m. & returned about 2p.m. Note- Some buses take you there & back , include admission fees, & a guide. Another, will also include a buffet style dinner with entertainment & possibly a stop at Valladoid , [ one of my favorite colonial cities ] for a cool dip in a cenote. I like that tour the best, but expect to leave Cozumel at 6a.m. & return about 10 -11p.m., exhausted when going by bus. You can rent a car at Playa del Carmen, [ I always recommend paying extra for insurance ] & drive yourself up there. Doing that , since you have the car for 24hrs., I would get a room at Chichen or Valladoid , visit Chichen the first day, & Valladoid on your own, the next day , & make it a relaxing trip. Another alternative, is take the bus, & go to the ruins south, Tulum, &/or Coba. A short ride to to Tulum . I forget which day it is, but there used to be free admission to Tulum one day per week. You can also rent a car & drive yourself to Tulum, Akumal, Coba, Playa Adventurous , etc. ALWAYS join up with a group & hire a guide at these locations. W/O a guide you will learn nothing about the Mayan history & culture.
Valladolid Yucatan Travel Agencies: Tours and Transfers

Yes, it would be cheaper to drive and stay. That is the point I am trying to make to my dive buddy/finacial backer!

My preference would be to go to Playa del Carmen for a week, take a few days to dive the cenotes and take the ferry over to Cozumel to dive a day or 2......... then drive to the ruins, visit Coba again, spend the night up by Chichen Itza and visit Ek Balam, too. But this is MY preference. Less diving, more topside culture stuff.

He wants to go to Cozumel for the full week with a day trip over to do the ruins. I am trying to convince him that MY plan is better. (We have been to Cozumel 5 times, yes, I know the reefs are great)

One thing I can promise you, you will return with more pictures of Ek Balam than CI and Coba combined. An overnight trip is best. Stay in Valladolid, tour CI early in the morning and catch EB on the way back.

If you can get a $125 flight from Coz to CI, grab it and it is Sunday that there are no admission fees to the ruins.

Have a great trip!

When are you going? This is also our 6th trip to the island (3/8-3/13), and since we've booked separately from our LDS this time, we also plan on exploring the mainland a bit.

thanks.... we are staying at Scuba Club Mar25-Apr1. :D We've been to Coz 5 times and have seen the island so I doubt we will venture far from the resort, maybe only to town once to shop for daughter who will be home minding the house and dog. :D

Back
Top Bottom