Maybe DEMA should thumb their upcoming Dive Fest in Ft Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The link here is to a document (it appears to be a bit dated) regarding the thought process for the DiveFest. I'm not convinced the logic is sound, but it does offer some food for thought and maybe a bit of balance to this thread.

http://www.dema.org/associations/1017/files/WhyTheFestival-Final.pdf

The one item it brings up that has been absent from this discussion so far, is how to bring more people into diving. DEMA may be onto a good idea, with poor execution.

As a store owner this statement is new and shocking information. Dema has actually approached manufacturers and requested they sell directly to the public?
That is my understanding, though I was not at the meeting. Several manufacturers have complained bitterly about this, so if it is not the case, they are doing a poor job in communicating their intentions.

In that regard, I have solicited DEMA's input. Here is the EMail I sent to the members of the Board as well as to Tom Ingram right after I posted this thread:

Dear DEMA Board,

As you know, I will never say anything behind your back. That would be wrong and it’s not my style to cower behind closed doors or forums. Since your meeting in Pompano Beach last week I have been asked by a few to speak for the community about this show. After communicating with a number of the stake holders and their concerns, here is what I wrote: Maybe DEMA should thumb their upcoming Dive Fest in Ft Lauderdale? As always, your input is greatly appreciated and this is an open invitation to respond and especially so if you feel the facts have been misrepresented.

Pete "NetDoc" Murray
(407) 509-0947
www.ScubaBoard.com

The link here is to a document (it appears to be a bit dated) regarding the thought process for the DiveFest. I'm not convinced the logic is sound, but it does offer some food for thought and maybe a bit of balance to this thread.

The one item it brings up that has been absent from this discussion so far, is how to bring more people into diving. DEMA may be onto a good idea, with poor execution.

Some of the keys business are raking in the business at the Travel and Adventure Shows Travel and Adventure Show - Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Washington DC, Dallas, Atlanta, San Francisco where they attract people who WANT to be divers, rather than folks who ALREADY ARE divers. Huh, seems like what DEMA wants to do. And guess what? These shows are at population centers. In the winter. Whodathunkit?

In fairness it was the ex-DEMA BOD member who was a BOD member (unelected but appointed "for continuity" when there could have easily been a extra slot on the ballot after Ty stepped down, except DEMA held Ty's resignation until after the elections had started, IMHO this was done so that they could have an unelected BOD member) when this whole idea came up. I think it stinks to high heaven, that ex Board member "Mr. Kiss My ASS" has done a Lauderdale show and work with the Lauderdale tourism people extensively from what I have been told. To me it reeks.

In fact i felt so strongly that after the show was announced I posted my thoughts on it here on scubaboard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sh...edge-dead-dema-walking-already-its-knees.html) and then sent a link to every member of the DEMA BOD.

I then had a conversation with Jeff Nadler on the DEMA board where he explained to me why they were doing the show in Ft Lauderdale, i sent him the following the next day

[FONT=&amp]"Dear Jeff,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I really appreciate you taking the time to call yesterday and discuss my concerns. I contemplated our conversation quite a bit lastnight and this morning.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Unfortunately I have to report I’m not very swayed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Regarding the new consumer show in Fort Lauderdale I would like to report that I do indeed “Get It”. There is no question that many of the companies in our industry are trying very hard to expand outside the limited diving industry as part of their business plan. Manufactures like Tusa,Aqualung and more are VERY aggressively marketing their products into watersports and swim, training agencies are marketing non diving programs(first aid, swim etc.) to a wider audience and of course resorts want to market their wares to a high end clientèle such as the Fort Lauderdale market offers.For them an inclusive watersports show in the Fort Lauderdale market is a no brainer….[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]However, in review of the DEMA Association Bylaws article 3, I see the following (bold is mine)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“ARTICLE III. PURPOSES AND OBJECTIVES.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The purposes and objectives of the Association shall be:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]A. To promote the advancement of the diving industry, to promote and encourage the[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]growth of diving activities, and to enhance the growth and public enjoyment of the[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]sport of diving[/FONT][FONT=&amp].[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]B. To establish continuing business education programs to aid industry members, their[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]officers and employees.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]C. To facilitate the exchange of information among industry members, through experts,[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]internet-based programming, manuals and conferences, and othermedia on such[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]subjects as quality control, general industry statistics,governmental regulations,[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]product standards and/or certification, standardized methods of keeping books and[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]records, and related topics of industry interest.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]D. To support the diving industry with communication services, media relations and[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]resources.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]E. To support the diving industry in monitoring and communicating on legislation that[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]impacts diving and to represent the industry before theexecutive, legislative and[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]judicial branches of government throughout the United States andin foreign[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]jurisdictions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]F. To support the diving industry in the monitoring andprotection of the environment[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]through education and activities.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Having DEMA run a show that is “A celebration of diving,adventure sports, water sports and outdoor lifestyles” is NOT cross marketing,it is outside the mandate of the association. It’s pretty simple. The association is there to promote diving, the fiduciary duty of the DEMA Boardmembers while serving in their capacity of board members is to the DIVING INDUSTRY, not their employers. If they can’t accept that they shouldn’t run or accept the seat. I know to some that may come across as incredibly naïve on my part, however if we don’t demand it of the DEMA Board we as an industry would be MUCH better off without a DEMA.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I also can not for the life of me shake the feeling that something about the show just plan stinks. The fact that the ONLY unelected DEMA BOD member has been so involved in the Fort Lauderdale tourism and running consumer shows in FT Lauderdale in the past is a HUGE red flag for me. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]You made a comment along the lines that the existing consumer shows are not good enough. To me that makes no sense. If the DEMA board feels the existing shows are not quite doing a good enough job, reach out and assist them! Setting up a show to compete with them is plain wrong. Encourage them to expand their cross marketing efforts. That falls within your mandate PERFECTLY.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]A show in Fort Lauderdale will benefit the companies I identified above, a half dozen dive retailers and reach 15-30,000 consumers.DEMA getting actively involved in assisting and helping grow the existing consumer shows would benefit hundreds of dealers and reach hundreds of thousands consumers. At a lower risk.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Speaking of risk, if the show bombs the association will have no choice but to do an assessment on the members, in effect forcing all the non-benefiting retailers and other members to subsidize the fortunate few, that is an inherent moral hazard that DEMA should reject, not build![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]ARTICLE VII. DUES AND ASSESSMENTS.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Section 1. Initiation Fee.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]There shall be such initiation fee for Membership in the Association as shall be set by the[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Board of Directors from time-to-time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Section 2. Membership Dues And Weighted Voting Rights.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]A schedule of dues and weighted voting rights shall be set for each Class A Division[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Member and each class of Associate, Allied and Sustaining Members as determined by[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]the Board from time-to-time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Section 3. Honorary Members.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Honorary Members are exempt from dues and assessments and have no voting rights.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Section 4. Assessments.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Assessments may be levied against Class A and Class B Members of the Association by a[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]two-thirds vote of the total voting power of the Association at any meeting of the Regular[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Members called for that purpose or by a two-thirds vote of the total voting power of the[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Association by letter ballot. Each Member shall pay a pro rata portion of the assessment[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]calculated based on the annual dues paid by such Member and, in no event, shall the total[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]of such assessments exceed $500 per Member, per year.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I also have concerns that DEMA is exposing itself to potential litigation regarding the following statement in the press release on Divenewswire.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“DEMA is working directly with manufacturers so they can helpcreate sales-friendly event policies that encourage retailers from around the world and their customers to exhibit and attend.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It reeks of collusion and anti-trade practices. I certainly understand the intent but feel it is over the bounds for the association to advocate this. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Regarding the resale of products, I am certain you will see non south Florida retailers attending with an attitude of “not my market so I can go nuts”, I would.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In closing, I STRONGLY object to DEMA going forward with this,in fact I intend to communicate this as far and wide as possible to enlist support in fighting this.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Yours in diving,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Chris Richardson"

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I got a reply that he was going to reply to me and never did. i reached out a few times asking if he had time to formulate a reply but silence...

I STRONGLY urge everybody to consider if supporting DEMA is a wise move going forward.
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Some of the keys business are raking in the business at the Travel and Adventure Shows
Not to toot my own horn (toot, toot), but many dive businesses are raking in the business right here on ScubaBoard. It's the Consumer Dive show that's 24/7/365 and where your feet never ache! :D

from what I have been told they have been trying to fly that kite a few different ways, they don't want a "flea market" yet recognize the draw, thus they have approached many manufs about selling direct and doing a kick back to dealers or a universal MAP idea. In fact DEMA had planned a meeting with select manufacturers at the long Beach Show to discuss how to have the manufs. sell at the Lauderdale show but in the face of opposition they canceled the meeting. I assume they felt they needed to sell the whole show first then figure out how to shaft the dive shops. (which is how I feel about having the manufs be required to sell at the show...not to mention Tax nexus and reporting nightmares. Bone DEAD STUPID!)
As a store owner this statement is new and shocking information. Dema has actually approached manufacturers and requested they sell directly to the public?

If this is true my finacial support for Dema is over. I know the argument that we should support them because its the best we have, but if that's the best partner I have I am better off on my own.
Any manufacturer that goes along with Dema's idea will either be terminated from my store or will never be in my store whichever case may apply.

Back to the Unified Dive Industry we go!!

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2012 at 02:01 PM ----------

wouldn't that be awesome if our association had a booth there and encouraged relevant stake holders in our industry to attend those shows? Of course they won't, that would involve spending money, not making it.

Some of the keys business are raking in the business at the Travel and Adventure Shows Travel and Adventure Show - Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Washington DC, Dallas, Atlanta, San Francisco where they attract people who WANT to be divers, rather than folks who ALREADY ARE divers. Huh, seems like what DEMA wants to do. And guess what? These shows are at population centers. In the winter. Whodathunkit?

Is DEMA fully funded by its membership? What % of their budget comes from PADI and the other larger entities as opposed to the run of the mill members?

funded by dues and proceeds from shows...

The bigger the organization the more you can pay in dues and get more votes in return. Some companies have multiple "companies" who pay and end up controlling a BIG voting block. For instance if I bought a max membership at $2500 each for EDGE , then for HOG, then for EDGE and HOG Asia i would spend $7500 but get 75 votes in return, I used to spend a couple hundred and get 1 vote.

There is one company out there that seems to feel their heavy investment in this fashion is worthwhile. I don't get it but what do I know?

Last time I looked if I recall correctly they (DEMA) had like 11 employees and a payroll of over 900k. It gave me pause.

I strongly suspect and my opinion is that they are likely facing a cash crunch with the DEMA show shrinking and this show is more about revenue to keep those salaries and benefits in place, not so much to bolster the dive industry.

Is DEMA fully funded by its membership? What % of their budget comes from PADI and the other larger entities as opposed to the run of the mill members?

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2012 at 03:17 PM ----------

From that document

"Why is DEMA Considering the Opportunity to Produce a Consumer Event in the Spring Of 2013 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida?
After much industry discussion over several years, DEMA is investigating the production of a consumer event to help grow the number of new divers and bring currently inactive divers back to the sport. DEMA has identified a need to produce an event that is different from traditional consumer dive shows, which typically attract (mostly) active divers. Other consumer shows have their purpose, but don’t attract non-divers in a way that would help bring a different audience to the professional diving community. Just as is done with DEMA Show, any such consumer event produced by DEMA would help raise funds which contribute toward the promotion of the diving industry."

The last sentence is the "money shot" pun intended.

"For years, DEMA has heard that the DEMA Show (exclusive to industry professionals) should open one of the Show’s four days to consumers. This concept seems logical as many diving businesses are already exhibiting at the Show. However, research shows that most retail DEMA members (90% of those polled) oppose this option, in part because doing so might allow consumers to attain access to wholesale pricing."

Disingenuous by a WHOLE lot, obviously we would all object to having consumers there while doing trade business, instead of asking us a STUPID question that has a obvious answer how about a smart solution, namely have a consumer only day after the trade show is complete?

The problem is that you can fluff up something all you want, but when the baseline premise is WRONG everything that follows is not relevant. They have some great ideas in that document, they should be helping their members (which includes consumer shows who they so freely bash) implement them, instead of proceeding in such a ill advised manner.

Last edited:
funded by dues and proceeds from shows...

The bigger the oragnization the more you can pay in dues and get more votes in return. Some companies have multiple "companies" who pay and end up controlling a BIG voting block. For instance if I bought a max membership at $2500 each for EDGE , then for HOG, then for EDGE and HOG Asia i would spend $7500 but get 75 votes in return, I used to spend a couple hundred and get 1 vote.

There is one company out there that seems to feel their heavy investment in this fashion is worthwhile. I don't get it but what do I know?

Last time I looked if I recall correctly they (DEMA) had like 11 employees and a payroll of over 900k. It gave me pause.

I strongly suspect and my opinion is that they are likely facing a cash crunch with the DEMA show shrinking and this show is more about revenue to keep those salaries and benefits in place, not so much to bolster the dive industry.

It does sound like DEMA needs its members more than its members need DEMA.

Not to toot my own horn (toot, toot), but many dive businesses are raking in the business right here on ScubaBoard. It's the Consumer Dive show that's 24/7/365 and where your feet never ache! :D

Of course, Pete, and as I said in post #2, the balance is from social media. I find that when advertising to consumers (and I do keep track of this), about 25% of my direct hits to my website are from SB, about 25% from Facebook, and the balance from other social media sites and other website links we maintain here and there. I'm not smart enough to figure out who coming to me turns into a customer, although that information does exist, I'm just not smart enough to go get it.

It does sound like DEMA needs its members more than its members need DEMA.

To be fair, the dive industry does need a trade organization. Just not one that is in the business of looking after themselves first. I've met a few of the board as well as the executive director. They seem like smart people. My opinion (insert Frank's opinion here) is that they are looking out for their own businesses first, whether that business is PADI, any travel companies, other training agencies, print media (who reads print media anymore?) or DEMA itself. I can't imagine putting on a trade show the size that DEMA was in the past. I guess DEMA couldn't either, because they didn't. They hire it out. It's time to get some of those 9 employees to start printing banners and humping display booths. Again, they could start at the travel and adventure shows. Seems to be working for the Florida Keys. The keys booths there actually entice folks who have dropped out of diving to get back in it again.

Back
Top Bottom