Maybe DEMA should thumb their upcoming Dive Fest in Ft Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I believe that this venue may be connected to the Port Everglades, which has been locked down tight since 911.

Joyce
I looked it up and you are Right........ That makes sense now. Back to disecting DEMA's intentions. :wink:

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I believe that this venue may be connected to the Port Everglades, which has been locked down tight since 911.

Yes the convention center is inside the Port facility, so you have to go through their security before even making it to the convention center.

It was kinda funny when we went thhrough there with my truck. The guard asks if I have any "weapons". The answer is "no sir".

Of course I have many dive knives and numerous fully functional spearguns... but I guess that is not what he meant when he asked me... There are literally hundreds of spearguns brought into the Blue Wild Show.

DiveNewswire

Popular and Growing line of recreational and technical dive gear supports Sheri Daye’s non-competitive BLUE WILD ADVENTURE Event instead
Released on: 5/29/2012

Following on the heels of last week’s courageous announcement from American Underwater Products (AUP) that the company was not planning on participating in the proposed DEMA-sponsored “Dive Festival”, EDGE/HOG Gear has announced it will also not be participating for a variety of reasons.

According to Chris Richardson of EDGE/Hog Gear, “We talked in depth with our retailers, along with other dive shops in the area. There is nearly unanimous consensus among scuba diving retailers that this proposed event is not only competitive but inappropriate because DEMA is not in the consumer show business.” Richardson adds that while there is a need to broaden the reach of the dive industry, that there are already a large number of consumer dive shows, who are already paying members of DEMA, and that EDGE/HOG chooses to support them. “We would be ecstatic were DEMA to reach out to existing consumer shows and assist in growing them.”

EDGE/HOG dive gear WILL be participating in the BLUE WILD ADVENTURE show February 23-24 at the Fort Lauderdale Convention Center. Now in its sixth year under the direction of champion freediver and industry figure Sheri Daye This is an exceptional show whose profits are donated to charity.

Richardson was emphatic about the importance of supporting local retailers and dive industry stakeholder groups that, as a membership organization, is what DEMA is chartered to do. Several well-known dive retailers in the South Florida market have openly rejected the proposed DEMA event and Richardson voiced concern that should this event prove profitable, DEMA could expand its efforts to other cities. “If I’m Beneath the Sea, Our World-Underwater, SCUBA Show or another promoter, I would be very concerned about what DEMA is trying to do.”

Richardson also expressed concern that the pricing structure at the show would lead to DEMA as an organization being less responsive and representative of the dive industry. “The show is priced so that members enjoy great discounts, this will lead to DEMA gaining more non dive industry membership in DEMA. As that new member base grows and DEMA markets the consumer shows to draw consumers for those new non diving members, we will see less and less representation of the dive industry in the dive industry's association. That isn't acceptable.”

A comprehensive thread about this situation was started last week on Scubaboard. For more information about HOG/EDGE Gear, contact Richardson at (404) 579-7631

I had a rather interesting discussion with Sheri Daye today... hopefully she'll post her thoughts here in the near future.

The DEMA board of directors is a shame. Look no further than who got elected this year:

William Cline of Cline Advertising Group.

What does he do?

He provides the market research for which DEMA relies on to make decisions!

You would think that that would automatically disqualify him, but no. It's the fox watching the hen house and every dive shop, manufacturer and travel outlet is being picked clean by this fox.

you work the booth with me and I'll cover your hotel. Plus I may throw a party and you can be the designated driver...again :D

My birthday is the 21st. A long weekend trip to Florida in mid Feb might be a nice present to myself.

William Cline of Cline Advertising Group.

What does he do?
Quite a lot, and especially for the Bahamas. In my opinion, it's not the fault of the individuals who comprise DEMA's BOD and in fact I consider a number of them friends.

At the last election, there were a few people asked to run, but who declined because they found the restrictions untenable. Things like having to sign a non-disclosure agreement puts a muzzle on the volunteers before they even get to serve. It stacks the deck in the favor of the the DEMA execs who like the status quo and inhibits real change. There was one person on the BOD who asked if I would serve, and I said "yes". Go figure, I was never included on the ballot. As I said, my vision of DEMA doesn't match the professional's view of DEMA. It's a case of where the tail wags the dog and it sucks. The executive side of DEMA should be controlled by the volunteer side: that keeps things honest. Also, the Good Old Boy attitude should be quashed anytime it rears it's ugly head. It's destructive and breeds distrust as well as contempt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom