MegaDive Dive Reports for 10-29 & 10-30-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard:
....... The highlight for me was the Galaxy Dive what a show. It was just like going into space. Those who were there know what I'm talking about.....
I wish I could have stayed for that. I'll bet it was breath-taking. It was really great meeting everyone though. Like Crawdad said, very nice atmosphere. The chicken was awesome. Next time I'll be sure to camp, so I can try the ziploc omlets too! :D
cardzard:
ANDY where were you at ? There was NO HURRICANE in Jacksonville
Prolly tied up in your spool :11:
Yeah Andy, did somebody mess with your reel? :laughing:

The weekend started out well with PERFECT weather! Ok, a few degrees warmer air temp would have been nice in the mornings, but by midday it was awesome!!! We had about fifteen people onsite by late Friday evening. Some of the regulars who showed during the weekend; Netdoc, Gibbon, Cardzard and Roxanne, Scubafool & family, Superbugman, Adder, Brian, Sheri, and Jean. I'm sure I'm missing someone! We also saw a BUNCH of new faces that I hope will make it to further megadives.
Friday night was somewhat uneventful as people were settling in. Some issues were; big man in a small tent, two black cats and an orange tabby stalking the campsite, and where's the booze?
Cardzard had the first confirmed drink at camp after setup was complete. I believe there was some bottle melting going on late Fiday night. I never heard or saw from Scubadilla.
Saturday morning, the Omelet patrol got up and went to work. Slow going as it was, ziploc omelets were a hit again. Unfortunately, I only had a single small electric burner and Roxy was helping with her own grill. To kick things into high gear, Dawn (Scubafool's better half) brought out their campstove to get the water boiling faster. (Man we need a stove!) The afternoon went well with food rolling from the grill to the table and many faces showig up. Never heard or saw from Andy, though!
Evening rolled in and many people had already hit the water Roxanne dressed up as a zombie, Dawn suited up as a Fairy, and John, (Minifool) as Darth Midget, no wait,... as Yu-Go-Girl!
MWU HA HA HA !!!!
Having been told of the need for a campstove for my megadives, Scubaboard (Netdoc) donated an incredible campstove! Thank you a thousand times over! The omelet bar evolves again!
Ready to begin the last dive of the evening, I slapped on about thirty pounds of medieval chainmail, picked up two dive lights to become,... a Knight-diver! My photo was taken by our friends at the Ginnie Springs Office Staff and I am told it will be posted to their website. I would have to say the most work went into Roxy and Dawn's costumes as they did makeup and outfits. Mine was by far the heaviest, though.
I am the only one who DOVE in their costume. As the vest alone weighs in at 16-17pounds, it negated my need for a weight belt. The problem was TRIM! I felt like a pipefish! If I wasn't resting on the bottom or actively swimming, I inverted to a head down feet vertical position.
Into the cave for the galaxy dive. I'm thinking,...a bunch of floating lightsticks? Possibly lame, we'll see. Most of the divers had assumed positions around the cave, and were handing their lightsticks over to a master surgeon with shears at the grate. I followed suit. Unfortunately, I did not have any contact lenses so I was straining to focus on distant objects. After the last stick was cut and blown out into the cave, the last of the dive lights went out. WAY COOL!!!!! It was like swimming in a sea of churning stars! They had been reduced to globules the size of a pinhead,... BILLIONS of them! For what seemed like an eternity, they swirled. There were also many large silhouettes floating around. Everywhere there was a diver, it was like a black hole, an emptiness in the universe. It made me aware of just how insignificant we are in our own universe, and at the same time, I felt like a god to be able to swim among the stars and hold them in the palm of my hand.
After my air dropped to 2/3, I headed out to the basin with my dive buddy. We carved minipumpkins in the basin by the light above the catwalk. Corey carved a face, I carved the bat signal. As an emergency buoyancy measure, I had strapped a liftbag to my right hip, in case I needed to offset the chainmail. Now I was beginning to realise that it was rolled up, but apparently not completely deflated! As I swam to keep myself from going feet up, (a futile attempt at the very best), I kept going in circles. I felt like a dying fish, swimming in small circles while laying on its side.
After exiting the basin, I watched as the rush for the hot showers began. I headed back to camp instead and went for the nearest to us, finding an open bay to warm up in. AHHHHHHH!!
Hot showers after a cold dive! Awesome relief! Soon, it was off to bed for me so I could be up early for the omelet bar prep.
Sunday, the morning from 7734! Normally, I am the first out of bed when camping. Rattling pans in the dark and sorting food at 5:30 am. NOT this morning! The evening's dive without contact lenses had come at an incredible price! A migraine the size of Brad Pitt's Ego! I could barely keep my eyes open, and later, chummed the sewer system with whatever I had! I was very proud to say that many people kicked into high gear to assist me with the omelet bar, and in getting our new campstove going. A few omelets later, and everyone had disappeared to get in that last dive of the weekend. Gibbon proceeded to break down camp as I deposited the wife and kids at Grandma's house for the day. I returned to Gibbon the tree climber as we broke the rest of camp down. After lunch, we packed the last of the gear into my car and headed out of Ginnie.
I can say that this was another incredible weekend, and yet another very successful megadive. I estimate that we had about twenty attendees for the weekend total. Thank you to Roxy and dawn for all the cooking help. Thank you to Gibbon for setup and breakdown of camp. Thank you to my wife who helped so much when my body said stay in bed, to get me motivated when I could not. Thank you to the many who helped in any way. It is every bit appreciated! Thank you most importantly to Netdoc and Scubaboard. Without you, we would not have these opportunities, nor the friends we have found, and continue to find through this forum. Now, on to planning for a Manatee Dive in November, and the May 2006 Megadive at Turkey Roost in Ginnie Springs!

BTW, I have it on good authority that Andy was tangled up in a bird's nest he created. Something about doing line drills in his living room and ending up as a fly in what a tangled web we weave. The neighbors quoted screams coming from inside his house as ," Shears! Shears! My kingdom for a set of Shears!" We missed all who did not attend. Look forward to May!

What a great weekend!
I got to meet a lot of new people, & catch up with some friends met at past SB events.

Crawdad, for the first dives after your OW certification, you were doing really well. NetDoc, thanks again for the loan of your light.

Big time props are due Ken, Holly, and Jarred for all of the planning & hard work that made for a great get together.

It was great seeing all the people that I had met at the previous Halloween Megadive again and I'm glad I got to meet so many new people this time around. Best of wishes to those who could not come due to weather issues, they were missed but not forgotten.

Thanks again to DSW for organizing another fine event and thanks to all of those who helped him fascilitate this get-together. You couldn't ask for a better place for these events either, Ginnie really does have a top-notch business with all the fixins. The hot showers kept me alive between dives, especially the early morning dives, and the late-night dips. The ziplocked omlets were the perfect motivation to come out of the sanctuary of the sleeping bag.

Thanks for the all the dives everyone :D

DSW, I believe I forgot my latern onsite - if it'll help bring some light to the next event, consider it a donation to VOA. :D

I for one had a most excellent adventure and met some interesting and fabulous folks. Had plenty of laughs, a few at my expense...Big guy in a little tent!!! Well that is what I get for being 6'2" and buying a 5' tent!!! The bag was warm though!!! :11:

Diving was excellent and got to do all the Ginnie spots and even a drift down the river with the Bugman.

Sunday got some good diving in at Troy and Royal with the fabulous Bug. Darcy, are you reading?? You missed the good stuff again!!!

Well, I am looking forward to seeing all those smiley, omlet eating, face painted, alchohol glazed faces sometime in the near future and doing the dancing chair routine around the old campfire.

Thanks to Net Doc for the gift of the board and all the great diving it has bestowed upon me in the last year....:14:

Hoss the wonder Pup!!

SuPrBuGmAn:
So true :D

I'm also hittng up alot of the springs you are recommending - LOL

Plan a trip to the Acokeeke or whatever! I've yet to see an incident where any of us hide your dive gear in any of Earth's deep crevice's either :wink:
Maybe we should have our own panhandle megadive at the jetties (either one)

jviehe:
Maybe we should have our own panhandle megadive at the jetties (either one)

High Tides aren't cooperating during the day anytime during the remaining of the year - atleast not on the weekends I looked at.

We could find a non-tide dependant spot, like a pier. SeaYoda's dived the Crystal Beach Pier, dunno if that'd be enough of a dive site to keep everyone's interest up - I haven't dived it. The Navarre Fishing Pier is condemned to fisherman and open to divers now, but that might be too much of a drive for some of you... ?

We had a bunch of ScubaBoard poeple(probably a dozen or more throughout the course of the weekend) at Vortoberfest just a few weeks ago :)

Before the end of the year, I definately want to charter another boat to do some offshore diving.

New thread to brainstorm this event?

Boat dive in PCB or Panhandle area?? Count me in as long as it is not around the 17th of the month... Would like to dive the Tarpon if it in good enough shape.

Tides not cooperating? Does that kill the Flounder thing..I want to do that too. I need fishy in me belly..

Horseradish

SuPrBuGmAn:
...We could find a non-tide dependant spot, like a pier. SeaYoda's dived the Crystal Beach Pier, dunno if that'd be enough of a dive site to keep everyone's interest up - I haven't dived it...
The pier probably wouldn't be much of a dive for a lot of folks. I enjoyed it while the sealife was abundant. On the last dive I saw maybe 5 fish ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

WetHoss:
Boat dive in PCB or Panhandle area?? Count me in as long as it is not around the 17th of the month... Would like to dive the Tarpon if it in good enough shape.

Tides not cooperating? Does that kill the Flounder thing..I want to do that too. I need fishy in me belly..

Horseradish

PCB = panhandle too :)

Flounder are heading to deep water, but they may still be running a bit from the bays. Tides do not kill the hunt, but it does make some of the dive sites harder to hit at the right times.

Probably restricted to the outside of the AL Point jetties mid-tide, which will keep us in shallower water - which still contains fish, and the AL Gulf State Pier which can be dived at any time - but requires a ride in the Jellyfish and a good calm day(fewer and farther between during winter). I wish the Whiskey Wreck were uncovered, but I read reports from last week saying it still only had 6" of relief. Hopefully the winter swells will take some sand off her.

SeaYoda:
The pier probably wouldn't be much of a dive for a lot of folks. I enjoyed it while the sealife was abundant. On the last dive I saw maybe 5 fish ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

D'Oh!

Is Navarre too far away for you? Its a big pier with lots of columns lined up more than a few hundred yards into the Gulf. I can't remember, but maybe some of the structure has been knocked in as well? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom