Megladon Teeth in the Atlantic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep-Thief

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I read about finding Megaladon teeth in the Atlantic, some where near, or out of Topsail Island, NC. Anyone know where and whats the deal. Any info is appreciated. Mark

Here is a link to a dive operation for the Megalodon sharks teeth offshore Wilmington NC

SpearIt Charters

Just for fun ... here is a photo of a tooth (not a meg).

Captain Johnny is running the Cooper River now.

Cooper River Dive Charters - CooperRiverDiving.Com

See Capt. J posting (1-11-09, 5:01pm) in regards to Cooper River diving on:

Charleston SC Scuba Club online social group.

Thanks much to both of you for those links. I do appreciate it.

The referenced website is a great reference for fossil hunters. It is indirectly related to scuba. Most of the fossils on the site were found on dry land. Scuba divers that are also fossil fanatics will love the reference. I am planning a field trip to Lee Creek this spring. I will be searching the area known as the Yorktown formation. I will be searching for fossilized clam shells. The fossilized clam shells indicate you are in the correct location for finding Megalodons. Lee Creek is an open face mine. No scuba required.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

:whistling:

The fossilized clam shells indicate you are in the correct location for finding Megalodons.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

:whistling:

Lee, thanks for that info. I've hit some spots that we found big fossilized clamshells but not much luck for megs. We always have the best luck where there's lots of whale bone.

Lee, thanks for that info. I've hit some spots that we found big fossilized clamshells but not much luck for megs. We always have the best luck where there's lots of whale bone.

I agree with the whale bone being an indicator. The clam shell I am referring to is the prehistoric one that looks like the back of your hand. It looks sorta like fingers or flutes radiating outwards. Apparently prehistoric sharks would feed on the whales and this is why the fossils are found together. It is strickly a hobby for me, but one that I really enjoy. I may make it up to Wilmington NC this summer and look you up. You have been highly recommended by Phil Myers (Eutawville SC) and Steve Michew (Atlanta GA).

Here is a Lee Creek NC reference that I found interesting:

Lee Creek NC

:us:

We call those "lions paws" and yes, we do find a fair number of them. Just give me a call when you want to come up.
The clams I meant look just like modern clams but are much larger and definitely fossilized.

seems like there was a link on here somewhere showing a diver in absolutely beautiful viz, swimming along picking up big teeth with hardly any effort at all, no digging, no current issues, didin't even need a light....I posted that they had to be seeded that NO meg sites were THAT good...several people responded that it was a real video, it was accurate and the spot was somewhere off NC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom