Mel Fisher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hasn't anyone ever read " Ship of Gold in a Deep Blue Sea"?//////////////?????????

Caymaniac

Ship of Gold is a wonderful book. It was very interesting learning of all the steps leading up to the final discovery. A good mix of history, scientific reasoning, business, humor, legalities and the hunt. Quite an unexpected find on the Border's bargain table.

Paula

Does anyone out there know of any reference material on the web that describes the location of the Atocha wreck site. I have been looking for hours and can find nothing except stories.

Bob3 -- brilliant! Thanks so much. I had heard of the case mentioned, but the breakdown of the UNESCO convention is a help too. Much appreciated! :crest:

snow bird -- If my memory serves (please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone), based on the book I mentioned above the location of the wreck has specifically *not* been publicized. It is still an ongoing salvage project...

Back in the mid 90's, when I was running a boat out of Key West, I was hired to haul supplies to the salvage vessel which was working the Atocha site. That vessel's location was quite a distance from the later salvage areas. I know that it was a good location, since I saw what they were recovering. The Atocha is thought to have broken up as it was driven across the reef, leaving it's cargo scattered over a fairly wide area.

The numbers? Yes I do. And in order to keep you out of jail, no you can't.

Back
Top Bottom