Melbourne + 1 perhaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the process of interviewing for a position in Melbourne (I am sure it would be a nice relocation from Southern Ontario) and am curious if there is a lot of local diving there (or short surrounding area). Here in Southern Ontario we have a number of good shore diving spots (within a 1/2 hour to 3 hours away) which are great for getting in the water to enjoy myself (+ buddy of course). We also have the day trip charters (nothing as exotic as Australia though) available to us. Is there any decent shore diving in the Melbourne or surrounding area?

I am the sort of diver that dives because they love it and I do not need a reason to be underwater.

melbourne :shocked: aka "the mexicans" to us

and yes....there is a strong diving group down there but ive never dived it. i know they have quite a few deep wrecks and i hear about diving portsea and mornington peir alot but cant comment on them.

some of the guys on my local forum www.diveoz.com.au will be able to help you more but make sure you come back here and tell us what you find out so we all can know for future reference :D

oh, and when you get here... its dived not dove :wink:

When I lived in Melbourne I did my diving through AB Ocean Divers in East Bentleigh (a sourthern suburb) and through the Melbourne University Underwater Club (MUUC).

There's heaps of stuff to see and do around Melbourne and being that you're coming from Ontario you won't find the water cold at all.

There are tons of shops and clubs around but you'll find the cost of gear expensive compared to what we pay in Canada and the US.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Melbourne is a fantastic place to live - it often rates in the top 5 liveable cities of the world.

And the diving is great!!! Over 50 beach, boat and wreck dives within 90 mins drive of Melbourne. The two main boat pick up are Queenscliff & Portsea, on either side of the Bay. Dive Victoria run dive shops from there with air fills, change & shower facilities.

During winter a 7mm semi-dry with vest or dry suit is used. Visibility is often awesome during winter.

Summer months a 5mm semi is fine. Water often gets to 18-19 during summer months, 9-11 in Winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom