Merry Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right back at ya Boogey Woogey... Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Kev,

Why don't you say Christmas??

I noticed that the last few years when i was in US in the run up to Christmas.

Now we live in thge Carib and we hear all these NUTTY stories about being SENSITIVE to other religions.

Now, me I really have no/NO time for any religion whatsoever...BUT I DO HAVE TIME FOR TRADITION and what that means for US as in normal not strange religious people.

I find it very difficult to have that bit of my recent past being squeezed out by left wingers...??

Your views??

boogey

boogeywoogey:
Kev,

Now we live in thge Carib and we hear all these NUTTY stories about being SENSITIVE to other religions.

Now, me I really have no/NO time for any religion whatsoever...BUT I DO HAVE TIME FOR TRADITION and what that means for US as in normal not strange religious people.

I find it very difficult to have that bit of my recent past being squeezed out by left wingers...??

Your views??

boogey

Hi Boogey,

I do say Christmas, unless I know for sure that the person I am talking to doesn't celebrate Christmas. Then saying Holidays will do nicely because Holiday really does mean Holy Day. If someone is offended by that, well too bad, I don't say it to offend.

I do see the word Christmas disappearing from the United States landscape. More an indication of our attempt to be politically correct at the expense of tradition. In reality, I guess it really doesn't matter... if you believe in Christmas then it will remain Christmas for you... however, I do find it sad. I enjoy this time of year, the memories, the family, and the non-commercialized giving involved in this time of year.

Happy HanukkahChristmasKwanzaa,

Kevin

No one would consider me a religious man, although I live life based on one of the most fundamental tenets of most religions (Confucius' "golden rule").

I was raised in the Christian tradition, but was (and still am) sensitive to the other religions practiced by my friends in my youth.

However, IMHO, I see nothing wrong in saying Merry Christmas around the actual date it is celebrated. I do try to be sensitive to those who may celebrate other religious traditions. If I know someone I encounter who is Jewish, I would wish them a Happy Hanukkah. I'm not familiar with most Buddhist "holy days" (if such are actually celebrated), and therefore can't wish my Buddhist friends a happy holy day. I don't have any friends that are Scientologists (but wish Katie Holmes was one, sigh), so I don't need to worry about wishing them anything.

And if I encounter a fellow heathen, I'd say "Join me for a buffalo milk" to celebrate the SPIRITS of the season.

Merry Christmas
&
Happy Holidays

boogeywoogey:
Kev,

Your views??

boogey

I agree...but our citizens will eventually be confind to the following. I posted this on another thread, but felt it applied here as well. :):

Best Wishes
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all...

AND

A fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual preference of the wishee.

(Note, by accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms.
This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher.

This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.)

This phrase works for all.....

Have a Happy Holiday and Happy New Year.

murphdivers286:
This phrase works for all.....

Have a Happy Holiday and Happy New Year.

Actually that's the debate that's raging. It DOESN'T satisfy everybody...if it did all of this would be a mute point.

Back
Top Bottom