Message to new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad to receive your feedbacks and I hope this message gets to new divers. It is true that damage caused by divers is a drop in the ocean compared to tremendous damage caused by greedy people who just think about profit and who can sacrifice anything and everything.

But shouldn't we take responsibility and do our part? Probably most of you heard this anecdote : One morning a man comes near the shore watching the ocean. He sees another man doing something on the shoreline. He approaches him and asks what he is doing. The man answers back : "Don't you see? I am throwing starfishes pushed to the shore back to the ocean." The other guys laughs back : "What's the point? How many can you save? You can't change it, there are hundreds of starfishes washed ashore by the waves." The answer is short but impressive : " Everything has changed for the starfish I just threw back"

Even if we think our contribution is minimal, it is a contribution for a good cause. Instead of one man, consider 10 men throwing back the starfishes to the ocean, the effect is exponential. If we make the new divers aware of these facts and improve ourselves during the process, we achieve more than we can imagine. It is a start and it is better than doing nothing about it.

I'm glad to hear it. You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, it didn't come across that way.

Well it was somewhat deliberate provocation from my end to be honest. I just don't like when people get all up in arms if one nicks a coral by accident and it takes 10 years to grow. Then the same people later that evening order plate of sushi that includes some fish that took just as long or longer to grow. It just doesn't make sense sometimes.

It is a start and it is better than doing nothing about it.

I take it you are a vegetarian (I am) as well? If not, you might consider today as a good start. You might save a life or two of some other animals.

Since it seems we have a few experts.

You might be surprised.

iztok:
I take it people here are all vegetarians and eat only organics? After all, we don't want to leave any pesticides and herbicides do we? Nor we want to eat all those farm raised animals producing mass quantities of pollutants, do we

Don't us a lot of pesticides on my garden, tabacco juice if full of nicotene. Works great. Just spit on the tomato and no bugs. Or neighbors trying to steal them. It's also organic, pure and natural crap is the onlyt fertilizer I use. Don't mass produce my animals either. Don't raise any more than than I plan on butchering for the winter.

I can only make the reefs safer by my actions, not a trawler that I have no control over. I do my best to make sure I don't damage reefs. But I will also speak to a diver on any boat that I'm on that is damaging the reef. Politely and privately the first time.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom