Metamora State Park - Diving Allowed???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awall54308

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend of mine lost a wedding ring in the lake last week. He has asked me to find a needle in a haystack and to dive down and try to find it. Is diving in the lake even allowed? If so, what is the visibility and depth of the lake?

I'm not familiar w/ that lake , but I don't see why diving would not be allowed. If you go to the Michigan DNR's web site, under fishing, you will be able to acess inland lake maps by county. This will give you an idea of depth, bottom composition,etc.
try this link. DNR - Inland Lake Maps

Most of the lake is REALLY shallow (less than 5 ft). The other portions are full of thick dense weeds. The only spot that may be diveable is near the boat launch. Depending on where he lost the ring, it will be very difficult to find. The bottom composition (like all the inland lakes around here) is very solf and silty. Go reach to grab for something and you will be up to your shoulder in muck. All that being said, I was there last weeknd camping and had the same thoughts about if you could dive it. Just figured I wouldn't find anyone interested in swimming in muck and weeds. :)

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of (soft silty bottom). If that's the case, it's a lost cause. Thanks for the info!

A good start might be to use an underwater metal detector. Or if the lake is only 5' deep you may be able to stay topside and improvise a bit and possibly use a super long bag with an off the shelf cheap metal detector from sports authority. I don't think the presure at 5' should harm the detector. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom