Mexican record Pez Leon 45cm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the fish show signs of previous spearing?

Sallye you should start a new PADI specialty!
This one did not seem very leery and did not show any scars that I noticed. It came down the wall toward me.

Great shooting Sallye! That fish is huge!
Thanks, Mark!!

That's scary how big that thing is. He must have ate have the fish on the reef to get that big.
Mike, I'd imagine that fish has eaten thousands of my underwater friends - vertebrate and invertebrate.

can't wait till i get back down there on the 12th of August, hopefully ill get to dive with sallye again.. she is a great hunter..
congrats sallye.
Thanks, Jeffro! Let's go!!

Nice job. Take some pics and measurements, send them to Grays Taxidermy, then bust out the limons and cilantro and make a party sized bowl of ceviche. Congrats, thanks for removing that monster from the reefs.
Pix and measurements sent to World Lionfish Hunters Association... How about these filets?

Man what a monster.....
Yep! Was a brute of a lionfish. Glad it's not eating any more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 454
Great job Ma'am...I hope that whatever lionfish that takes his place on the reef does not live to get as large as this one.

I've been known to have a Sol or three and I stand corrected. My reporting was incorrect.
Pictured fish was measured at 45cm and is currently officially the Mexican record at 44cm. Sallye's last monster was at 42cm listed on the World Lionfish Hunters Association (WLHA) site when she got this latest 44cm beast. The Mexican record is now again Sallye's at 44cm. Same record two different monster Pez Leon. I'll leave the 1 cm difference to the people that do the recording everyday. These are both great fish. Giants! Think about how many juvy fish these monsters ate every single day to get this big?
If you've ever hunted these things you can appreciate what a great fish this is and what Sallye doing is taking a nasty invasive fish off the reef's we love. They are very cunning, smart, predators at this size. She has also gone with the marine park police/people hunting and teaching. She may not be leading a dive for an OP, but is leading the way to remove these invasive fish off the reef.
Good work Sallye!!!

Last edited:
Awwww... Thanks, Joe. :blush:
Old Bear, I hope that I, or some other hunter (or predator!) takes out the next one that moves in a lot sooner than this one and I met!
Here's tale of the tape. You might have to look closely to see the strand from its tail that hits the 45cm mark.

And the BS reference in the OP mixed up a couple of different guys. The one with the big fish agrees with 45. :)

Oh! And many huge thanks to Steve Hazard who held this big guy by the mouth, so we wouldn't have to trim spines before picture time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 267
I wonder what how potent the poison from a fish that size would be to someone unfortunate enough to get stuck by it? I'd think there has to be some sort of correlation between the size of the fish and the potency.

Sallye said it was coming down to her. Maybe it was coming *for* her!! :wink:

Now this is what you call a manly cocktail. Screw that 'worm in a bottle' crap. :D
As in "Man! Your throat's gonna swell shut!"?

Had this one for a few weeks....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 180
Sallye, was the sex of the fish identified?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom