Microdrive or CF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking for high capacity memory for C5050. I tested IBM Microdrive and CF (both 1GB). Microdrive is faster but it has higher consumption. I'm not sure how reliable it is comparing to CF.

What do you suggest which one to choose ?

Thanks
MonkSeal

I have got an IBM microdrive (1 gig) and have never had any reliability issues. In terms of power consumption, I can shoot about 50 pictures over two dives before having to change the battery

I would go with a CF card: solid state, fast and cheap. Like wackodacko I have a Transcend 512 30x and am very happy with it. Don't know how it compares with the Microdrive but it sure beats the pants off my 128 xD (about twice as fast in RAW).

The Transcend 1GB Ultra Performance 45x has just been released as well.

I've got the 1Gb Trancend 30x and a 1Gb Microdrive. I find the CF much quicker too.

Apparently the Microdrives are a bit susceptible to losing data when heavily knocked or dropped, although mine has always been fine. In the UK prices are about the same for either if you shop around, so my choice would be the CF, as it's probably going to be more reliable in the longterm.

Microdrives, while they may have worked out well for some, are by their nature not reliable enough for the rigors of underwater use. The knocking around of your camera in the bucket on the boat or accidently banging it into the ladder, the potential for higher humidity & condensation inside the housing, large & rapid temperature swings between surface and the water are all things that the storage medium has to put up with. The susceptability of microdrives to damage from shock, especially while writing, their environmental limitations (much more stringent than CF. Did you know, for example, that you can't use a microdrive above 10,000ft? Air is too thin and it uses air for lubrication. High humidity is a limitation as well), just don't make them that attractive for UW photography, in my opinion. With the CFs dropping in price as much as they have been, I see a microdrive becoming a less and less attractive option... Just my opinion, of course... :)

-Roman.

Would recommend that you stick with a CF card. My Microdrive lasted about 18 months then started to make very strange noises and was never the same again. Have recently bought a 40x CF card and it seems to be perfect for underwater and land based photography alike.

Simon

Thanks for valuable advices and opinions. My tests were few dives to 40m at 14 C with each device. Obviously, it wasn't enough to make a decision.

MonkSeal

Back
Top Bottom