Mid December Trip to Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wdm

Registered
Reaction score
I will be accompanying two novice divers to KW. I have never been in the area and hope that someone could confirm my research into dive operations, et al.

I have made contact w Bonsai, Dive Key West, and the charter out of Looe, with reference to their shallow reef dives.

Also, I have been looking into Blue Water Charters Key West, which offer diving, fishing and lobster hunts in one day. Has anyone had any experience w this outfitter?

Blue Water and Bonsai only charter to small groups, which I prefer. So I have been leaning in their direction.

I understand that this time of year may not be the best weather conditions for diving, and would this have any bearing on going diving out of Looe, as opposed to the reefs, near KW?

Cheers!

Looe is a little more reliable for calm weather, but this time of year you just have to check with the operator right before the trip. Looe is really beautiful and an ideal spot for beginning divers. It is, in my view, better than the reefs that are close in to Key West.

I will be accompanying two novice divers to KW. I have never been in the area and hope that someone could confirm my research into dive operations, et al.

I have made contact w Bonsai, Dive Key West, and the charter out of Looe, with reference to their shallow reef dives.

Also, I have been looking into Blue Water Charters Key West, which offer diving, fishing and lobster hunts in one day. Has anyone had any experience w this outfitter?

Blue Water and Bonsai only charter to small groups, which I prefer. So I have been leaning in their direction.

I understand that this time of year may not be the best weather conditions for diving, and would this have any bearing on going diving out of Looe, as opposed to the reefs, near KW?

Cheers!

Hey WDM,
I'm planning on diving Key Largo, Jupiter, and Blue Heron Bridge the week of Dec. 18-22.
I'm leaning towards Ocean Divers, but am open to suggestions.
Who do you plan on diving with in Looe Key?
Have a Safe Trip!
Roger

Check out Ocean Divers Fall Special. Get Unlimited Diving in Key Largo

i am looking at getting down to take advantage of it. We dove with them last summer and thought they ran a nice operation.

The OP wanted info regarding Key West/Looe Key.

For the OP, If you are driving to KW, then the Key Largo dive ops are on your way. You can stop a night in Key Largo and dive there. The Key Largo Reefs are just as nice as Looe, but there are many more of them. I prefer Key Largo diving to the lower Keys but don't know if you are heading that way.

herbdb, that's a screaming deal from Ocean. We might try to take advantage as well.
However, if you are flying in to KW, then Key Largo is a couple of hours away and would be a very long day trip (but scenic driving for sure).

We are flying straight in to KW, so making a stop at K Largo is not going to happen. Blue Water Charters Key West, out of KW mentions a trip to Looe as part of an itenerary. Anyone have any experience w them? Also pondering renting a car for the day to make the drive north to Looe to dive with the local outfitter there. They only offer a full day trip w three dives.

Sorry, don't know Blue Water. Looe Key is a pretty long haul by boat from Key West so I don't know if they plan to take you directly by boat (with stops along the way), or shuttle you by van to Big Pine Key and then go with a local operator. Sounds like they plan a full day on the boat, stopping at Looe, and that might be nice. Also, if they offer fishing, lobstering, etc that might be entertaining for the novice divers as well if they are into those things.

However, if you are purely into diving, I would recommend you also consider the 3-tank trip with one of the local operators. It is an easy drive to Big Pine and the boat ride to the reef is only 15 minutes. You maximize your time on the reef. Also, the morning is usually more reliably calm so going with the local op assures that you will hit Looe early in the day.

I just checked out the bluewater website. That looks like a really nice charter operation and they really seem to know the dive sites in the area. The operators near looe are basic "cattle boat" operations. The Bluewater looks like a first-class alternative with many more options and, it seems, much more personalized service. If you like them and they give good service over the telphone, I would opt for them.

Thanks for the input! The folks at Blue Waters KW Charters indicated that their boat is being refitted and unavailable during my stay at KW. I'm now looking at making the drive to Looe Key to do the 'cattle boat' run and charter a fishing and lobster trip with a KW local.

Anyone had any experience w KW Island Time Dive Charters? They offer similar options as Blue Water, but w smaller boats, and will only take 2 or 3 out per trip.

Last edited:
The consistent recommendation for Looe Key area is the Looe Key Resort and Dive shop. An custom charter operator out of KW suggested I dive up there with LKR as opposed to diving with him that time of year, due to inconsistency in water conditions. My problem is logistics with having to rent a car to get there, although its only 30min up the road. I'd rather find a good operator in KW that can hit some good locations. Hotel recommends Capt Corner, but I read mixed reviews.

Check with Finz Dive Center. They have a facebook page as well as a website. If they can't help you, check with Dive Key West and ask Bob if you can charter the little boat. Then compare the cost of a rental car. I'll bet the rental car is way cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom